Recipe help/feedback (hoppy APA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweneighty

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first recipe and I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me. Goal is to create refreshing "summer" pale ale which has a lots of floral/citrusy notes.

Beer style: APA / session-IPA
Type: All grain
Size: 5.5 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.051
FG: 1.010
ABV: ~5.5%
IBUs: ~45-50

Grain:
9.85 lb. pale ale malt (95%)
0.5 lb. Flaked oats (5%)

Hops:
0.75 Oz Columbus @60min (this gives about 37 IBUs)
0.75 Oz Cascade @30min hopstand 180F
0.75 Oz Citra @30min hopstand 180F
0.75 Oz Cascade DRY HOP
0.75 Oz Citra DRY HOP

Yeast:
US-05

1) I think that hopstand gives me about 10-15 IBUs (I estimated that 30min hopstand equals 10min boil addition) and overall I`m somewhere between 45-50?

2) Should I add some caramel malts to the body, maybe 5%?

3) Never used flaked oats, is 5% enough to increase mouth feel?

4) Hop schedule, is it ok or should i add @5min addition?

Thanks!

I'm working on a similar one at moment - not brewed it yet as missed the delivery yesterday - but I'm going to swap out 30% of the malt for pils to keep it real light (as I use Maris) and adding 250g of torrified for some head - I stay away from the caramel malts on light ales - I don't like that sweetness

I like it a bit more bitter so do 50g of bittering (if they are around 13%)

it looks like a good beer - but I don't call 5.5% session IPA :)

Hop schedules are really all about your personal preference, so go with what you like. I use some Vienna and a bit of Munich 10 to give a little depth to the malt bill, rather than crystal malts. I think the real trick to making a refreshing / hoppy APA is mashing on the low side (148-150). This dries it out and let's the hops really come through, I also use about %20 flaked oats to balance out the viscosity lost due to mashing at such a low temp. Good luck! ��

I am normally a fan of little to no crystal or carpils, but it would seem that a small % of a 30-40L would set this off. a little color and depth with not much change to the ABV. I know there are those that hate crystal, but the stuff does good things when used correctly.

I love the hop schedule and would maybe increase oats and decrease 2-row by .25 lbs each, but I would also add about .25 lb of 40L. It is not a lot, but that little touch for me anyway will do very good things

I would add 5% crystal 40 or caramunich 2...but that's just me so you can ignore that.

Citra has a lot stronger flavor/aroma vs Cascade, so maybe reduce your Citra a bit and increase the Cascade, especially if you looking for floral notes.

I would add 5% crystal 40 or caramunich 2...but that's just me so you can ignore that.

Citra has a lot stronger flavor/aroma vs Cascade, so maybe reduce your Citra a bit and increase the Cascade, especially if you looking for floral notes.

To that end (floral), I have had amazing results from Ahtanum

Thanks for FB. I will increase flaked oats to 10% and actually I think that i skip the dryhopping part this time. I have brewed 3 IPAs before with the recipes found from the internet. All my previous brews were dryhopped and everytime i tasted an odd off flavour after bottling. Beer tasted great after fermentation but after bottling all batches became "sweet" and all the fruitiness from the hops disapperead.

Obviously something happened during dryhopping or during bottling process...

How about if I change my hop profile and try something like this:

0.75 - 1 Oz Columbus @60min
1.5 Oz Citra @ Hopstand 180F 45min
1.5 Oz Cascade @ Hopstand 180F 45min

1) Should i go lower temperature wise during hopstand to increase flavor? Is 180F optimal temperature or is it better to start at 180F, keep 30min, cool for example to 150F and keep another 30min.

-->

0.75 - 1 Oz Columbus @60min
0.75 Oz Citra @ Hopstand 180F (keep 30min)
0.75 Oz Cascade @ Hopstand 180F (keep 30min)
-> Cool to 150-160F
0.75 Oz Citra @ Hopstand 150-160F (keep 30min)
0.75 Oz Cascade @ Hopstand 150-160F (keep 30min)

By removing dryhopping my goal is to simplify the brewing process.

Back