Recipe for YeastBay Farmhouse Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I keep a mason jar on the counter filled with an advanced culture that will make a complex sour in half the time!

Something anyone could have.
Ecy20, a few of my favorite additional bretts, JP dregs...

But because it has been used heavily, kept room temp, and occasionally fed, it is always raring to go and will sour quickly with a nice complexity.

I've also found that my chosen method of steeping oats on my way to a boil is a good alternative to adding maltodextrin. So is throwing some dried spaghetti into the fermenter. Time released starch feeding.

I'm so pleased with my 14 month old "lambic style" golden sour that I regret not getting it ready for a major contest.
That's never been my thing, but this batch has blown my mind.

Glad I have ten gallons to split into several applications.

The point being, the bugs just get better and better as you use them.

I realized my account of my culture isn't completely accurate.
The original beer from which this culture came was left open overnight to gather local mystery flora. All twelve gallons.

So I guess I can't be certain what it contains, but I still believe the workhorses of the culture are Bug County and JP dregs that came along in a different beer using this culture.

Still looking forward to trying one of these blends, probably Melange.
From some comments, I don't understand why the expectation of a truly nice sour beer in a short period of time.
When I pitch a blend like Bug County, I don't even check it until 9 months...knowing I will allow a minimum of over a year to build complexity, even if it shows a level of sourness I am pleased with.

If you want a quick sour, use your lacto up front and follow with sacc and/or brett, but don't expect the same complexity.

TYB site says 3-5 months to finish. That's where the expectation comes from.

Yeah. I saw someone mention Melange also, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

If you are just looking for a tart Saison, good temp management should make that kind of turnaround reasonable.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
I'm very interested in TYB.

About 3 weeks in. The gravity hasn't changed, I didn't think it would change much. It's at 1.002. The flavor and sourness has certainly picked up. I don't know if thats just because of the JP dregs or the warmer temps or both. Either way it's most definitely a better beer than it was 3 weeks ago.

Pushing 6 months now.

Almost 5 weeks in since I pitched the JP dregs. Gravity is 1. Nose is quite fruity, taste is fruity and mild funk and some sour. Pellicle is forming.
Now to decide on bottles or keg. This might age out nicely.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429119432.811469.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429119442.914744.jpg

I had great luck with the farmhouse sour. I put a heat wrap on it, and I haven't finished the temp regulator I'm building for it, so it fermented in the 80s I'm guessing. Targeted 1.056 og and 10 ibus. I also pulled .5 gallon off the mash immediately and chilled it before it converted. I the. Added that to the boil. The plan was to give the bugs extra food. I also pitched dregs from a barrel works saison and an anchorage/hill farmstead Brett saison.

I sampled 2 months in and it had a bright lemony acidity, and had a great juicy mouthfeel. The gravity was stable 2 months after that and I bottled. The Brett has added a gentle funk, but the original flavor profile dominates, and is lovely.

Oh, one other thing I have stopped doing is aerating my sours. I think that, the low ibus, and the heat wrap all factored in the success of this beer.

I also have a turbid mashed sour going that I pitched melange into. I didn't catch how low the cell count was on the vial until I pitched, so it took forever to get going. We'll see where it is in another 8 months or so.

I want to try the funktown next.

I had great luck with the farmhouse sour. I put a heat wrap on it, and I haven't finished the temp regulator I'm building for it, so it fermented in the 80s I'm guessing. Targeted 1.056 og and 10 ibus. I also pulled .5 gallon off the mash immediately and chilled it before it converted. I the. Added that to the boil. The plan was to give the bugs extra food. I also pitched dregs from a barrel works saison and an anchorage/hill farmstead Brett saison.

I sampled 2 months in and it had a bright lemony acidity, and had a great juicy mouthfeel. The gravity was stable 2 months after that and I bottled. The Brett has added a gentle funk, but the original flavor profile dominates, and is lovely.

Oh, one other thing I have stopped doing is aerating my sours. I think that, the low ibus, and the heat wrap all factored in the success of this beer.

I also have a turbid mashed sour going that I pitched melange into. I didn't catch how low the cell count was on the vial until I pitched, so it took forever to get going. We'll see where it is in another 8 months or so.

I want to try the funktown next.

Funktown I really enjoyed! I used it in a citra/galaxy hopped combo pale ale and it was fantastic! No funk but really nice!

Bottled my farmhouse sour on peaches last night.

Definitely a nice tartness to it after the last four months. Big improvement in acidity since I tasted back in early March. Curious to see what its like when fully carbed. Hopefully it continues to sour some more in the bottle.

I'll have to revisit this yeast again in the future. Do a starter, hit mash numbers, slightly less IBUs, ferment warmer. A good beer, but not great, maybe some bubbles in it will bump it up a bit.

Yeah. I saw someone mention Melange also, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

If you are just looking for a tart Saison, good temp management should make that kind of turnaround reasonable.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
I'm very interested in TYB.

Absolutely. Higher temperatures, along with lower IBU, will be the main driving factors for upping the acidity produced. You should be able to achieve a pretty reasonable turn around time with a nice acidity (6-8 weeks) with 1-2 IBU and temperatures in the mid 70's.

I kegged this after letting it sit in the carboy for 3 months and primed in the keg. I tasted after 2 weeks and it was sweet and slightly carbonated.... Like the yeast did eat some sugars but not all.... really strange as after 2 weeks the sugars I would have thought would be totally gone.... I'll taste it again in another week to see how it's going.

I kegged this after letting it sit in the carboy for 3 months and primed in the keg. I tasted after 2 weeks and it was sweet and slightly carbonated.... Like the yeast did eat some sugars but not all.... really strange as after 2 weeks the sugars I would have thought would be totally gone.... I'll taste it again in another week to see how it's going.

Interesting... Perhaps after 3 months there were not a lot of organisms left in suspension. It's only Sacch and Brett in the blend, no brett that flocculates very slowly. May simply take a little longer to carb up.

Bottled my farmhouse sour on peaches last night.

Definitely a nice tartness to it after the last four months. Big improvement in acidity since I tasted back in early March. Curious to see what its like when fully carbed. Hopefully it continues to sour some more in the bottle.

I'll have to revisit this yeast again in the future. Do a starter, hit mash numbers, slightly less IBUs, ferment warmer. A good beer, but not great, maybe some bubbles in it will bump it up a bit.

First time drinking it carbed up last night. Very nice acidity and the carbonation helped with the flavor. I think better fresh peaches (used frozen whole foods) and better process on my end will yield a better beer next time but overall pretty pleased for my first sour.

Hey everybody, I wanted to get this thread going again real quick in order to get some advice on how to possibly fix what went wrong with the beer I just brewed using the Famhouse Sour blend. I didnt see this thread until after I brewed the beer (today), and wound up mashing low (148) and aerated the wort before pitching the blend directly from the vial (no starter). I am hoping to make this beer as sour as possible, and wonder if there is anything I can do to make up for those 3 errors. I have some maltodextrin on hand if adding that to the fermenter is a good idea. Really open to any suggestions on how I could ensure that this beer will be as sour as possible. Thanks for any help!!! :mug:

Incase it is needed, here is the recipe...View attachment 291546

Recipe looks pretty good to me! As I mentioned a moment ago in another thread, I was at Rare Barrel on Tuesday chatting with Jay and we tasted through a couple barrels of their golden base fermented with the Farmhouse Sour Ale. It was quite good and I think the organisms took well to that wort. If you want to give it a shot, you can find the golden base recipe here:

http://byobkc.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-rare-barrel-base-recipes.html

Recipe looks pretty good to me! As I mentioned a moment ago in another thread, I was at Rare Barrel on Tuesday chatting with Jay and we tasted through a couple barrels of their golden base fermented with the Farmhouse Sour Ale. It was quite good and I think the organisms took well to that wort. If you want to give it a shot, you can find the golden base recipe here:

http://byobkc.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-rare-barrel-base-recipes.html

This is a solid recipe base to start from. I have done several variations on this theme using various substitutions etc. it has worked well with lambic style beers, lacto sour fruit beers and simple lacto dry hopped sours. I have not used it for the Farmhouse sour yet but will. Should have plenty of dextrins for the lacto to chew on over time.

Back