Recipe for leftover Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalenSevinne

Reaction score
I have done several kits recipes and last time, followed a recipe in a book. I don't know a lot about what type of hops are good for what type of beer nor how to put together a recipe with a good chance of success.

I thought I would try my own this time. I need some ideas to start off though. From my last brew, I have 1.5 oz. of Warrior Hops and 1 oz. of Simcoe Hops. What are my options here and anyone know of a recipe that could brew with just those hops?

I still brew extract w/ specialty grains.

you could do something like this:
6# light DME
steeping grains (to get whatever color/flavor you want)
0.5oz Warrior (60min, 15min, dry hop)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, dry hop)
US-05 yeast

or some other variation of hopping. depending on when you add the extract you can turn this into an IPA or an APA

With those high alpha hops you could put together a nice IPA or Pale Ale.

8 lbs of DME extract for a 5 gal batch will give you an OG of 1.069 and hopefully an ABV of 6.5. add some caramel and crystal malt and you've got a great IPA backbone.

as for the hops, this gives you 62 IBUS
1 oz @ 60 warrior
.5 oz @ 15 warrior
.5 oz @ 5 simcoe
.5 oz @ 0 simcoe

OG and IBU put you right in the IPA catagory.

Or.... you could use less extract and use less of the hops at the beginning of the boil and get a nice flavorful pale ale.

happy brewing

With a tad bit of amarillo this would be a fine beer. Simcoe and amarillo are awesome together.

Just be warned, that by itself some people feel that simcoe has a cat pee flavor.

Back