Recipe feedback please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcurcio

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to give some feedback on this recipe and what kind of style they think this is similar to.

This is only my 3rd or 4th time mashing. I like to come up with my own recipes to try things out even though I admit I don't really have the experience to really know what flavors Im going to get from different grains.

I already brewed this recipe but still curious how you guys think it will come out and what type of beer style you think it resembles.

Using an app I have it seems to meet a lot of the characteristics of an old ale but I know that also has to do with a beer being aged a long time.

Thanks!

2.25Gal Batch BIAB (got pretty low efficiency. I think about 56%)
Mashed approx 154 – 60min
Boil: 90min

ESTIMATED
OG: 1.083
FG: 1.022
ABV: 7.9%
IBU: 51
SRM: 16L

ACTUAL
OG: 1.074
Est FG: 1.020
Est ABV: 7.0%
IBU: 55

GRAIN 7.75lbs
5lb 2 Row Base
1lb Pilsen LME
12oz Caramunich
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz Flaked Oats (Roasted)

HOPS 1.25oz
.5oz Columbus – 90min
.25oz Fuggles – 20min
.5oz Saaz – 20min

YEAST
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Right now fermenting at 72F ambient temp. I might try to lower that a bit later tonight.

Too much crystal and caramunich? I was thinking the IBUs would balance it but now I'm not sure.:confused:

stylistically, closest seems to be 19A (Old Ale).

i wouldn't lower fermentation temps at this point - it's too late. you want to start low since most temp-related off-flavors are created during the early (reproductive) phase, typically the first 36 hours. lowering temps now will only slow yeast activity.

if you get it down to 1.020 you should have a very nice beer. it's your FG, and the taste, that will tell you if you added too much crystal. only so much you can determine on paper/screen. the truth is in the beer.

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate it. Good point with the fermentation temps.

So this ended up fermenting hardcore a couple of hours after pitching and was done in a couple of days. I decided to check gravity today (its been about a week) and it's down to 1.016.

I was actually hoping that it would finish closer to the estimated 1.020 for this style since I hopped it to 55ibu. I'm pretty sure I stayed around 154 during the mash and it seems like I got about 76% attenuation.

What could the reason for this be?

Is that a result of fermenting towards the upper end of the yeast's temperature range?

Over pitching? I used a Wyeast smack pack which was kind of old (about 6 months) and made a small starter of 16ounces with a gravity of 1.033.

Did I just underestimate the yeast too much? (I think the default was 73% attenuation)

Hopefully its done. I'll check it gravity again in another week.

EDIT: Just realized that the yeast is listed at going up to 75% attenuation so maybe I should just estimate the attenuation at the upper end of the range from now on.

So this ended up fermenting hardcore a couple of hours after pitching and was done in a couple of days. I decided to check gravity today (its been about a week) and it's down to 1.016.

I was actually hoping that it would finish closer to the estimated 1.020 for this style since I hopped it to 55ibu. I'm pretty sure I stayed around 154 during the mash and it seems like I got about 76% attenuation.

What could the reason for this be?

Is that a result of fermenting towards the upper end of the yeast's temperature range?

Over pitching? I used a Wyeast smack pack which was kind of old (about 6 months) and made a small starter of 16ounces with a gravity of 1.033.

Did I just underestimate the yeast too much? (I think the default was 73% attenuation)

Hopefully its done. I'll check it gravity again in another week.

EDIT: Just realized that the yeast is listed at going up to 75% attenuation so maybe I should just estimate the attenuation at the upper end of the range from now on.
a yeast's attenuation range is an average, it's not set in stone. depending on your process, you can make a yeast go above or below it's stated range.

fermenting warm will increase attenuation. doesn't sound like you over-pitched, in fact you under-pitched according to mrmalty. a six month old pack would have very few viable cells lets in it, so congrats on getting a strong fermentation out of it!

Latest posts

Back