Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axeldog11

Reaction score
Just threw some ingredients together that I have on hand, wondering if it looks drinkable, possibly brewing tomorrow. What would you add, what would you take away? What would you change? Really looking to just use what I have already to make some type of simple ale ( apa, ipa, etc. )All the ingredients I have on hand to work with are as follows
Simpsons DRC
Simpsons Crystal Light
Weyermann Special Type 3
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Choc Wheat Malt
And for the hops I have on hand besides the recipe would be centennial, Azacca, Cascade, Lemon Drop, and Enigma.
Here’s what I came up with so far

5 Gallon Batch
Est. Abv 6.6%
Est. IBU 55
Est. OG 1.064
Est. FG 1.014

12lb Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1 lb Crystal Light
Mash at 152 for 60 min

1 oz Magnum at 60min
.75 Hallertau at 30 min
.75 Hallertau at 15 min
2 oz Amarillo at whirlpool for 20min
US-05 for the yeast
Dry hop 3 oz Amarillo on day 4
Keg after 7-10 days

Just threw some ingredients together that I have on hand, wondering if it looks drinkable, possibly brewing tomorrow. What would you add, what would you take away? What would you change? Really looking to just use what I have already to make some type of simple ale ( apa, ipa, etc. )All the ingredients I have on hand to work with are as follows
Simpsons DRC
Simpsons Crystal Light
Weyermann Special Type 3
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
Weyermann Choc Wheat Malt
And for the hops I have on hand besides the recipe would be centennial, Azacca, Cascade, Lemon Drop, and Enigma.
Here’s what I came up with so far

5 Gallon Batch
Est. Abv 6.6%
Est. IBU 55
Est. OG 1.064
Est. FG 1.014

12lb Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1 lb Crystal Light
Mash at 152 for 60 min

1 oz Magnum at 60min
.75 Hallertau at 30 min
.75 Hallertau at 15 min
2 oz Amarillo at whirlpool for 20min
US-05 for the yeast
Dry hop 3 oz Amarillo on day 4
Keg after 7-10 days

What is your goal? If it's just drinkable beer, then yes, mission accomplished.

One thought... the subtle hop character from the Hallertau (Mittelfruh or similar) might get lost in all that Amarillo. Your Centennial might make a nicer blend with the Amarillo.

Last edited:
What is your goal? If it's just drinkable beer, then yes, mission accomplished.
Goal is to make a recipe with what I have on hand. But not just drinkable, likable as well to where I would want to replicate it in the future. Just trying to think outside the box and get creative with limited ingredients.

One thought... the subtle hop character from the Halletau (Mittelfruh or similar) might get lost in all that Amarillo. Your Centennial might make a nicer blend with the Amarillo.
That’s a good point! Honestly the only reason I was going to use Hallertau is because I have pretty much an endless supply of it so I was trying to see how to incorporate it.

Endless possibilities. I started thinking inspiration of a brown ale - some chocolate wheat and / or Carafa 3, a little of each crystal, and maybe only some Hallertau.

Or the current grain bill with just centennial and cascade. Maybe a little amarillo as well if you know you like it or haven't tried it.

I'd consider a SMASH with just the Azacca since I haven't tried that one before. If you haven't used one or more of these hops, that's a consideration as well.

I think your grain bill is good. I’d dump the hallertau and do a 3-2-1 ratio of Amarillo, azacca, centennial. Maybe something like 1, 2/3, and 1/3 oz at 5-10 minutes, the same at FO or WP then 1 1/2, 1, and 1/2 oz for DH. Just what I’d do for an easy drinking IPA. Or adjust upwards if you want. Maybe a 10, 5, FO and DH.

I think your grain bill is good. I’d dump the hallertau and do a 3-2-1 ratio of Amarillo, azacca, centennial. Maybe something like 1, 2/3, and 1/3 oz at 5-10 minutes, the same at FO or WP then 1 1/2, 1, and 1/2 oz for DH. Just what I’d do for an easy drinking IPA. Or adjust upwards if you want. Maybe a 10, 5, FO and DH.
I like the sound of that! I’m going to go with that and give it a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

For the next one you could do a dark lager with the pils, a little chocolate wheat and some carafa special III for color. If you're feeling frisky you could do a couple % DRC.
Then do a 1/2oz to an oz of Hallertau at 30 and 15 and some more at 60 to whatever IBU strikes your fancy.
Hit it with 34/70 and ferment cool if you can.

Probably not to any exact BJCP style, but I bet it would taste great.

Back