Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I decided I wanted to try to brew what I call German IPA. The idea was to brew an IPA how I imagine a German brewer would if they brewed IPAs. I tried for a Pilsner style grain bill with a healthy helping of noble hops. Here's the recipe:

11 lbs. Pilsner Malt
1 lb. Munich Malt
.5 lb. Carapils

60 Minute Boil
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer

15 Minute Boil
.5 oz Tettnanger
.5 oz Hallertauer
.5 oz Spalt

10 & 5 Minute Boils
.25 oz Tettnanger
.25 oz Hallertauer
.25 oz Spalt

Flame Out
.5 oz Tettnanger
.5 oz Hallertauer
.5 oz Spalt

Dry Hop
.5 oz Tettnanger
.5 oz Hallertauer
.5 oz Spalt

Yeast -- US-05

Thoughts?

Couple changes just to keep with the "German" theme:
CaraFoam instead of Carapils
Wy1007 German Ale yeast instead of US05

Otherwise it sounds awfully tasty!!

Edit: I actually have something similar in the upcoming pipeline but with saaz, tett, hallertau and a breadier malt grist.

I'd double the amount of hops. These hops are low AA varieties, also meaning they have lower amounts of total oils, so less flavor per ounce vs. American hops.

I would combine the 15, 10 and 5 minute additions and put them all in at 5 minutes. Use a german ale yeast also.

I like your 15, 10, 5, FO additions as they are.

What is the thinking behind this suggestion? I have always viewed the 15,10,5, 0 order as the way to get the most complex mix of hop flavor and aroma.

I just brewed the Heady Topper clone twice and if you're looking for a hop forward pale ale this is the way to go. If ya like them the way they are - then go for it. It will work either way.

The only butter bomb I've ever brewed was a blonde with pils as a base malt. I'd definitely do a 90 minute boil.

The only butter bomb I've ever brewed was a blonde with pils as a base malt. I'd definitely do a 90 minute boil.

Second the 90 min boil with the pils malt. Sounds good though. The us-05 will work just wont be as German.

Back