Recipe Critique - Multi Grain Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of a multigrain ale with no specialty grains, wyeast 3724 fermented very warm and a very assertive hop presence. I do 15 gallon batches so I hate to experiment so wildy, so I am asking for some assistance with this beer. Here is what I am thinking so far

17 pounds Pale Malt
5 pounds wheat
5 pounds rye
4 pounds oats
1/2 summit at FW
1/2 ounce Chinook at FW
1 oz galena at 60
2 oz Columbus at 15
2 oz Chinook at 5
4 oz simcoe dry hop
Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison)
Pitch at 70 and let it rise into the 80's
Mash at 153
OG 1.055
FG roughly 1.008
IBU = roughly 35 (not inputted into beersmith yet)

Thoughts?

Belgian IPA/APA hybrid fermented very warm with 13% oats, 16% rye, 16% wheat, 55% 2-row, and a very pungent hop blend... not my cup o' tea sir. Basically everything about that combo worries me.

Belgian IPA/APA hybrid fermented very warm with 13% oats, 16% rye, 16% wheat, 55% 2-row, and a very pungent hop blend... not my cup o' tea sir. Basically everything about that combo worries me.

Is these because the recipe is inherently flawed or is it because you just wouldn't like to drink a beer like this? I could change the yeast and ferment it cooler.....use 1056?

I'd drink it. Probably need a lot of rice hulls, of course.

Actually, 35 IBUs is in-style for a saison. I say go for it.

I could change the yeast and ferment it cooler.....use 1056?

If you did that, added more hops (15 gal batch), and swapped the oats for more 2-row then it would turn out leagues better IMO. But you certainly have the right to brew what you want to brew.

If you did that, added more hops (15 gal batch), and swapped the oats for more 2-row then it would turn out leagues better IMO. But you certainly have the right to brew what you want to brew.

I will take that into consideration...thank you for your input.

I used to make a few multigrain IPAs with 10% each wheat malt, rye malt, and flaked oats. The rest maris otter. I found them to be a little conflicting in their breadiness, but I should disclose I'm not a huge fan of rye in beers.

The grains are a little conflicting in my opinion. Fullness from wheat and rye, smoothness from wheat, but spiciness from rye, and slickness from oats. It's all over the place. But I still think it's a fun experiment.

I think your recipe needs to decide what it is - if you want more of an IPA experience, then use a different yeast. If you want it to be more farmhousey, then cut down the bittering additions big time. I recommend keeping it in the saison style, with heavy late additions and dry hopping. The body provided by the grains will work with the heavy attenuation of the yeast, and the flavors produced by the yeast will work with some of the non-barley grainy flavors. And hops are yummy.

Back