recipe crit - house pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I wanna try a relatively simple American Pale Ale as the first batch in a new brewing spot. I'm trying to be more disciplined about getting critiques on here instead of assuming I know everything. Here goes:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: jiminy cricket house pale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.77%
IBU (tinseth): 38.87
SRM (morey): 5.74

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 lb - American - Pilsner (56.3%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (37.5%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (6.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 30.87
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

a few comments (my opinion)

1. WAY to much victory, i would use zero victory, but if you like the flavor id go with 1/4 - 1/2lb at the most.

2. id drop the crystal to 1/2 lb

3. at 22 IBU it is more of a blonde ale. id up it to around 30-40 if you are looking for a pale ale.

i dont much care for caramel in my pale ales, i would do 50:50 mix of Pilsner and Vienna. move the CTZ to 15 minutes. the rest looks fine.

thx for the rapid reply!
I edited, so let me know if I'm off-track. Otherwise I'll go with this.

I don't yet understand the differences/uses of Victory, Munich, Vienna, etc.

My guess was that it would add a "malt backbone" :rolleyes: to complement the hops.

your updates look good, should be an enjoyable beer.

It gets confusing when you modify the original post after people have commented without noting where the edits are. I think the current recipe of just pilsner, DME, and crystal looks fine although it would also be okay to add a little victory or vienna or munich depending on what you are going for.

I hear ya chickypad, I just hate unnecessarily long threads b/c of re-posting recipes and then quoting them, etc.

These recipes are kinda spitballing based on what I have on-hand.

I'm still trying to figure out where Victory is appropriate; I'm hearing that it doesn't belong in pale ales nor stouts, so I'm conf'd. Probably gonna add 1 lb victory back into this jawn, because a lot of my "simpler" beers are turning out watery and one-note boring.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference. I think a little victory in a pale ale can be nice though I'd probably keep it in the 5% range or less for something like that. I more commonly use it in ambers and browns. I've seen it in stout recipes also - basically any time you would want a little toasty/biscuity flavor. You could also try some different base malts with a little more flavor, like a domestic pale ale malt or maris otter. Or take the above suggestion of using part vienna as a base.

final iteration:
(the LME is Maillard Malt's Maris Otter LME)

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: jiminy cricket house pale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.68%
IBU (tinseth): 44.05
SRM (morey): 6.83

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (55%)
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (40%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - CTZ, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 29
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.52
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.26
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.28

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

yeah that was kind of a last minute "why not?"

but i'm not making an IPA here; i'm going for a balanced APA.

i should prolly just take my pound of nugget hops and make a more deliberate late-addition nugget experiment.

I am very new to this, so discount my response accordingly. Still, APA is what I am trying to teach myself as well. I bottled my first six days ago, and my second went in the fermenter last night. This means I have ideas, but do not yet have any results.

I think balance is everything in beer, but I think the balance is between bitter and aroma. You seem to have all aroma. I don't know nearly enough to say that is a bad thing, but it does not sound balanced to me, whether we are talking IPA in the West Coast sense, or American IPA, i.e., APA.

I could, of course, be very wrong. If so, that means I have yet another opportunity to learn something.

whovous, you're absolutely right that all my hops are late additions. look up the term "hop-burst" to see why I did that. (also i have a bunch i'm trying to use up)

to clarify, "balance" IMO refers to malt sweetness vs hop bitterness, not bittering vs aroma. if you make a high-alcohol beer, it will be cloyingly sweet. if you really like hops, it's easy to get overzealous and end up with sandpaper beer. the fine-tuning is done with crystal malts or specialty malts.

lastly, i'm brewing this for a combination audience of yuengling-drinkers and craft brew nerds. i want something that's approachable but with character. there's a term called flavor fatigue and urban dictionary has a surprisingly apt scientific definition: a gimmicky, unique flavor can get tiresome after a few gallons. in my experience, a balanced beer is the most resistant to flavor fatigue. so i want each sip to be a hit of hop flavor that quickly fades into layers of toast and bread, rather than a lingering bitterness.

of course, there's a time and place for my belgian tripel IPA :cross:

i was debating whether or not to use pils malt for the extra-light color and crispness, but i wanna try out this Maris Otter sizzurp and i'll use the pils for somethin else.

Ahh, so we are balancing different things. I am doing AG with mostly two-row, plus a little Munich for color and even less CaraPils for mouthfeel. Not much sweetness if I am doing it right, I hope, just a balance between bitter hops and aroma/flavor ones. You are way ahead of me on this.

Back