Recipe Check - Spotted Cow Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have my first couple of 1 gallon extract brews in primary and I'm looking ahead to my first 5 gallon brew. I really want to try a Spotted Cow clone but I'm really not ready to go all grain yet.

I went to a LHBS today and discussed and they pulled this recipe off of another forum. I bought everything...even ground my own Crystal grains. I will post it here and welcome thoughts, critiques....possible tweaks or anything.

----------------

OG=1.047
ABV=4.6%
IBU=16-17
SRM=4

----------------

Extract
5 gallons

3.5 lb Briess Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb corn sugar
0.75 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb flaked barley
0.56 oz Northern Brewer hops (6.9% alpha, 45 minutes)
0.38 oz Saaz hops (3.5% alpha, 10 minutes)
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast

Steep flaked barley and crystal malt while heating 5.5 gallons distilled water for about 20 minutes. When it hits 168 F, discard the grains and add all the extract and sugar. The unmashed flaked barley helps ensure it will turn out cloudy, which is one of the primary features of this beer. The other defining characteristic to Spotted Cow is the corny, DMS type flavor. If you use light extract and only do a really weak boil (as opposed to a strong rolling boil), with the lid on, for a maximum of about 45 minutes, this will do as good a job as possible to try to keep DMS flavors in the finished product. Add hops per schedule. For even more DMS, don't use a chiller or cool the hot wort, just let it coast down to room temp overnight. Ferment at 64 F for about 10 days. Do NOT rack to secondary at all. Bottle/keg as normal.

----------------

So, the lady at LHBS said that this is actually a partial mash. It seems just like the extract with specialty grains I've already done to me.

My hops are 9.6% Alpha as opposed to the recipe's 6.9%. It's what they had.

The only thing I think I might change is the chilling of the wort. I'm thinking it's better to cool this as fast as possible like usual? I'm also thinking I'll just steep the whole 1lb of Crystal I ground as she didn't think it'd really make much difference.

What do you think about the weaker boil with the lid on for 45 minutes? Ok?

Alright...tear it up...put me on the path!!!

unfortunately you're not even close to a clone. your yeast is correct and your IBUs are about right, but spotted cow is made with a very large (i want to say 20%) amount of flaked corn, and 'corn sugar' is not a substitute. DMS is a pretty different flavour than what you get from flaked corn.

this is the recipe i used when i made my clone a while ago, and it came out very well (likely stolen from someone on HBT, i apologize if it was you):

5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.78 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
1.75 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.5 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (1 min) Hops
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

to convert to partial mash (extract + specialty won't really work all that well becuase you need enzymes to convert the corn) i'd substitute extra light DME for the 2-row and leave everything else as-is. i had friends blind taste between my clone and the real thing and statistically, no one could pick out which was which.

Very nice, thanks!! Yeah after more research I realize the recipe I found won't be super close, but I'm hoping it still produces a decent, drinkable beer. This will only be my 3rd home brew so I'm just not comfy enough yet to step out of extracts yet. This will also be my first 5 gallon batch, so I feel I need to take small steps. There a lots of partial mash recipes and kits available and I'll be sure to save yours!!

Back