Recipe Check for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
Looking for constructive criticism on this recipe.
I have never used Vienna before and thought it would be an interesting one.

8.0 oz Rice Hulls
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US 50.9 %
5 lbs Vienna Malt 36.4 %
12.0 oz Caramel Crystal Malt - 40L ( 40.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
8.0 oz Light Dry Extract [Boil for 10 min]
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash at 155°

Last edited:
I recommend caution using Vienna in an IPA. I used to love Vienna malt, as I loved Vienna lagers and the taste of the malt. I also loved hoppy IPAs. Then one day I visited a brewery that said Vienna IPA, and I thought "Jackpot!"

It was a total taste clash. Turned me off Vienna, it was such a jarring experience. Years later, I have started sparingly adding it in, maybe 8 oz here and there, and only on malty beers. Obviously, your homebrew is about your tastes. So give it a try if you want. I personally would cut it back to 1 lb max in a 5 gallon batch.

My standard ipa grainbill is 10 lb brewers, 2 lb Vienna and 1 lb c10. Maybe swap some Vienna for more 2 row and not sure about the need for rice hulls.

Probably a little light on the hop schedule. If that’s your goal, give ‘er hell.

I would definitely move your hops around, however. You’re wasting the good hops for bittering and using the cheap hops for aroma and flavor.

Now, I’m not saying cascade doesn’t have good flavor but I think most will agree that Citra is a superior hop. By using it at 45min, you’re not getting your moneys worth.

Should be good, but why the rice hulls?
I had wheat malt in place of caramel crystal in the original recipe and forgot to remove the rice hulls. Thanks for pointing that out!
Good suggestions hear. I'll go back and make some more adjustments on the hop schedule and grain additions.

Here is the adjusted recipe. Still easy on the hops. I'm used to brewing amber ale's so I'm easing into the hops.
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 50.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day

I see you moved the Citra to 15 minutes. If I were brewing this I’d use it all for dry hop or split half for flameout and the other half for dry hop. IMO, It’s too good of a hop to use it all up at the 15 minute point.

I know that some commercial breweries and other homebrewers use 002 yeast for American IPAs with success but myself and a brewing mate found that it masks / strips hop flavour. I would recommend using 001 or other classic american IPA yeast.

Here is the adjusted recipe. Still easy on the hops. I'm used to brewing amber ale's so I'm easing into the hops.
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 50.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day

If you want I like to use victory malt for my pales and ipas...gives a nice biscuit/bready flavor that will compliment the hops nicely.

I would go with a clean yeast like @Iseneye said...could try San Diego Super 090...very clean and floccs pretty well in my experience.

Looking for constructive criticism on this recipe.
I have never used Vienna before and thought it would be an interesting one.
Thanks for all the ideas!
This is the revised hop schedule.

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

I had wheat malt in place of caramel crystal in the original recipe and forgot to remove the rice hulls. Thanks for pointing that out!
Good suggestions hear. I'll go back and make some more adjustments on the hop schedule and grain additions.
If it were me, I’d put the Wheat back and lose the crystal altogether. But then I’m not a fan of much crystal malt in my IPA’s.

I had substituted crystal malt for wheat thinking I would end up with a clearer beer. And I did take out the rice hulls along with the wheat.
I think crystal also contributes to head retention. Would that be correct?

Apples and oranges really. I'd keep your crystal malt at whatever level you like. I'd add the wheat - sometimes IPA's lose their head retention capacity, I think because of the light oils in the huge amount of hops. You'll never notice the wheat in the flavor profile, it is just enough to help the head and lacing a bit. My Barney the Welder IPA uses 4oz wheat, you can see it adds to the head retention and lacing over the original.
IMG_1995.JPG

Last edited:
Brewed thus up yesterday.
8 lbs Pale Malt
4 lbs Vienna
12 oz. White Wheat Malt
8 oz. Rice Hull

1 oz. Centenniel @ 35 min
8 oz. DME Light @ 5 min
1 1/2 oz. Citra @ 5 min
1 oz. Amarillo @ 0 min
.5 oz. Citra @ 0 min
WLP001 Starter

Fermentation going well at 68°
This one is looking promising so far. Will dry hop for 4 days (before bottling) with 1 oz. Amarillo and 1 oz. Citra.
Will report back later on how it comes out.

Good idea getting rid of the crystal, especially with all of that Vienna. Honestly, that’s way too much Vienna imo. I think the maltiness with actually mute your hops quite a bit. You’ll likely end up with something very balanced, but lacking in punch. That is, unless you get it to attenuate nice and dry.

Why the DME?
I had to bump up my points.
I hit my pre boil numbers but a little low on the OG. I shoud have boiled off a little more especially since I was adding a 2.3L starter.
Ended up with 5.7 gallons in the fermentor and was shooting for 5.2 gal.

Latest posts

Back