Recipe Change suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icon578

Reaction score
Making my 2nd All grain batch and decided on a Duval Clone originally, however after having a duval tonight at dinner. I am less inclined to brew a 5 gallon batch as the dry wine like finish is not for my taste. I'm sure this is from the 2 lbs of candi sugar which is added to secondary.. However, I have already crushed the 12lbs of Belgium 2 row + 10 oz of Cara Pills and was preparing to brew on Saturday. I would like to alter this recipe using what I have already for grains. Any suggestions for beer types. I don't mind changing by adding to grain bill but I would like to keep and use the grains I already had crushed at the store. I made a starter using a 1L Strong Ale yeast.

Thanks so much for your help, I realize I should not have attempted to brew a beer I had not previously tasted but I am of the trial in error type in life as much as brewing.

Thanks for your guys help, it's appreciated.

What if you just left out the 2 pounds of candi sugar? Added a bit more specialty grains (honey malt, crystal) and mashed on the high side?

+1, just leave out the sugar and mash higher. Start the ferment nice and cool to suppress esters.

Thanks for the responses.. I changed the grain bill and went with this..

9lb belgian pale malt
2lb victory malt
1lb Belgian CaraPilsner malt
1lb Caramel 40
.5lb belgian special B
and .5lb of aromatic malt
Wont be utilizing the candi sugar.

For beer style this grain bill with the yeast and IBU charge most closely resembles that of a Belgian Dubbel. So this should solve the problem of that wine like character I just don't have the palate for.
Thanks guys.

Back