Recipe Assitance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some help here; I want to make an AIPA but it needs to be within style guidelines. Something out of the park, home run, off the charts good type stuff. I have been looking through multiple recipes here and there....honestly, it's just a bit much. I have never really made good IPA's but need to for this one.

I am working on my water profile and that really has consumed most of my time lately. I need to get that right before I work on recipe creation.

That's where I am asking my brewing brothers and sisters here to help me out. Post your ideas, recipes, photos and things related to help sell me on yours. The only thing I think I know I want are; I know I want to hit the upper end of the style and get to about 7 or 8 SRM. Ingredients and hop choice are whatever; I stock my grain and hops in bulk so odds are, I probably have it already on hand. Thanks in advance everyone....I want to brew this on Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

Go. :mug:

The big question is: what ingredients do you have on hand to work with?

Good question. I have 2 Row, 6 Row, Vienna, Pilsen, Crystal 20, 40, 80, 120, Maris Otter, Acidulated, Carapils....the list goes on. I have alot of the base grains and some adjuncts. I also have some dark malts...but those don't apply here. :)

My LHBS is running a weekend special today and tomorrow also; so if there is something I need, I could probably find it.

Here's mine. Best beer I make by far, and it won me a donkey trophy of which I am quite proud. I've tried it with Cascade and Citra as part of the hopstand and dryhop too, but the all Mosaic version here is far better. By percentage so you can scale to your liking. Except the hops, those are for 5.5 gallons.

90% 2 Row
10% Crystal 20

1 oz. Magnum @60
3 oz. Mosaic Hopstand at 170 for 30 minutes
2 oz. Mosaic Dry hop 7 days.

That's off the top of my head, I think the grist was closer to 88/12, but that'll get you close.

Quick, simple and juicy. Every beer drinker who has had my IPA wants more than I'm willing to give them, myself included.

Here's mine. Best beer I make by far, and it won me a donkey trophy of which I am quite proud. I've tried it with Cascade and Citra as part of the hopstand and dryhop too, but the all Mosaic version here is far better. By percentage so you can scale to your liking. Except the hops, those are for 5.5 gallons.

90% 2 Row
10% Crystal 20

1 oz. Magnum @60
3 oz. Mosaic Hopstand at 170 for 30 minutes
2 oz. Mosaic Dry hop 7 days.

That's off the top of my head, I think the grist was closer to 88/12, but that'll get you close.

Quick, simple and juicy. Every beer drinker who has had my IPA wants more than I'm willing to give them, myself included.

Thank you much for the contribution. I do have all that in my "stock" except I only have 4 ounces of Mosaic. I could have the 5th ounce by the time I need to dry hop though.

- Side note: Not sure what a Donkey Trophy is...but it sounds cool :) And what was your yeast choice? Starter?

Thank you much for the contribution. I do have all that in my "stock" except I only have 4 ounces of Mosaic. I could have the 5th ounce by the time I need to dry hop though.

- Side note: Not sure what a Donkey Trophy is...but it sounds cool :) And what was your yeast choice? Starter?

Sorry, harvested S-05 slurry. No starter. The trophy is a bobble butt donkey that says Kickass Homebrewer on it.

How about:
90% 2 Row
6% Vienna
4% C 40
Add a dash of choc if you want colour.

Use a clean bittering hop at 60 to ~15 IBU (warrior, magnum). Then 1.5 oz of your preferred aroma hops at 15, 10, 0. Also dry-hop. I also like mosaic. Another suggestion is columbus-cascade combo. As for yeast, perhaps either US-05 or 1098.

Yooper's 60 minute DFH IPA is a real winner. I've done variations on the recipe with mixed results, and usually go back to the original.

It's about the only beer wife gets excited about.

My most popular beer by far is an IPA with a humongous hopstand. I was aiming for a hop character that is very different from the typical pine and citrus that the style is known for. The combination of belma and huell melon is out of this world. Strawberry apricot berry flavors that I've never had in a beer before. Still tinkering around with the 3rd hop that will work best, but I definitely love those 2. It also has a good portion of wheat to further increase the juicy hop character. The large hopstand gives an enormous amount of hop flavor and aroma but with no lingering bitterness. Its like drinking resiny hop juice but its as drinkable as vitamin water

7 lb 2 row
2.5 lb wheat
1 lb vienna
6 oz golden naked oats
1 lb cane sugar

@60: 1 oz apollo
@15: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon
@0: 1 oz Belma / 2 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz Pacific gem / 1 oz citra
@+30: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz Huell Melon / 2 oz Pacific gem / 1 oz citra
@dry: 1 oz Belma / 1 oz citra
@2nddry: 1 oz citra
@keg: 1 oz citra