Recharging a flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquidPope

Reaction score
My latest beer, a simple IPA, supposedly finished bottle-conditioning over the weekend; they'd been in the closet for two weeks before that, and had been primed in the bottling bucket with an amount of sugar that has served me well so far (0.75 grams in a two-gallon batch).

However, each of the two bottles I put in the fridge were flat when I opened them. I know I can just add some more corn sugar to the bottle and let the yeast do their thing, but I have a few questions:

1) Should I give them another full two weeks once I add more sugar?
2) Should I take this as a sign to quit using the screw-top plastic bottles that came with my Mr Beer kit? This has happened before, and always with the screw-top bottles; I haven't had any such problems with my swing-top glass bottles.

(In case you're wondering, it never occurred to me to re-prime the flat beer the last time this happened; I ended up using the flat beer in a chicken marinade)

My IPA was going on 5 weeks before it was properly carbed.
Is it recommended to use the caps on plastic bottles only once. or are you okay with reusing the same cap?

My IPA was going on 5 weeks before it was properly carbed.
Is it recommended to use the caps on plastic bottles only once. or are you okay with reusing the same cap?

I've been sanitizing and re-using the same caps, it didn't occur to me that they wouldn't be re-usable.

Back