recapping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobmarley

Reaction score
What's everyones thoughts on opening then recapping a beer? Whether commercial or HB. Just curious, never asked, just pondered.

Did you ever open a bottle of soda, and then put the top back on? In three days, the soda is super flat. The same would happen with beer or any carbonated beverage. Once it's opened and poured, most of the co2 would be gone.

I'd say yes...but it's an easy enough experiment to try. I've bought growlers that have tasted flat within the two hours I've drank them.

Edit: Although I did do a homebrew showing of my beers at Valve recently where the uncapped beers stayed somewhat carbonated for the 1-3 hours they were open.

Did you ever open a bottle of soda, and then put the top back on? In three days, the soda is super flat. The same would happen with beer or any carbonated beverage. Once it's opened and poured, most of the co2 would be gone.

How on earth did you find that picture of me ? :D

Recapping a beer violates man-law. Just drink it and enjoy it. Or use smaller bottles.

I actually did this for a barleywine that I paid $10 for a 22 oz bottle (Old Ruffian). Sometimes you don't want to do an entire bottle of something big and expensive in one sitting.

As for the carbonation, I didn't notice much of a loss but then it was a barleywine. I went through it within a week though, and would pour my glass and then recap right away.

What about Grolsh style bottles? Seem to be made for recapping.

I am going to experiment with it. I was just curious as to if anyone had tried it, and if so, with what styles. I didn't need any smart comment about my curiosity. We are all in it to win it. Not show up or one up everyone.

i've been consuming beer for close on 30 years, and i feel that there is no style that could stand drinking, then recapping. if you wanted to recap, you might be able to drop in a carb tab and see if that helps. i don't know about that; never tried it

I have on occasion drank half of a 22oz, recapped (with a bottle saver device intended for soda bottles I think) and had the rest the next day. The carbonation is diminished but it's still def there. Not ideal but you're not wasting beer at least.

Latest posts

Back