Rebuilding My Brutus Hybrid Into a Kal Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John... Have you kept track of the expenses for this setup? If so, what kind of investment have you made to get where you are?

I get its been 5+ years in the making and like you said a while back, this hobby can get crazy when you think about the money... That's why you shouldn't... But I'm curious!

John... Have you kept track of the expenses for this setup? If so, what kind of investment have you made to get where you are?

I get its been 5+ years in the making and like you said a while back, this hobby can get crazy when you think about the money... That's why you shouldn't... But I'm curious!

Ok if your asking them I'm telling.... Keep in mind that even though I didn't finish wiring my original control box, I still had about $1,200.00 into just that box. I even had it powder coated. The Sabco kegs custom made the way I wanted them with the larger tri clover end caps were not cheap either. Nothing in this build was cheap come to think of it. The tri clover stuff really adds up the most though. I have never added it all up (I do have a computer file with all the orders and receipts though), but I would have to say for every single thing start to finish it has to be 8 grand. Probably more like ten though if I sat down and added it all up. That does include my new 2 tap kegerator, new upright freezer, and conical fermentor. It's crazy I know, but it's my hobby right! :tank:

John

Ok if your asking them I'm telling.... Keep in mind that even though I didn't finish wiring my original control box, I still had about $1,200.00 into just that box. I even had it powder coated. The Sabco kegs custom made the way I wanted them with the larger tri clover end caps were not cheap either. Nothing in this build was cheap come to think of it. The tri clover stuff really adds up the most though. I have never added it all up (I do have a computer file with all the orders and receipts though), but I would have to say for every single thing start to finish it has to be 8 grand. Probably more like ten though if I sat down and added it all up. That does include my new 2 tap kegerator, new upright freezer, and conical fermentor. It's crazy I know, but it's my hobby right! :tank:

John

I kind of figured it would be up there! My setup is very piece-meal right now... I'm making investments in improving individual parts of it, which is kind of a short-sighted approach. I look at this thread and what you've built and love the vision and forethought put into what you wanted the end result to be.

I kind of figured it would be up there! My setup is very piece-meal right now... I'm making investments in improving individual parts of it, which is kind of a short-sighted approach. I look at this thread and what you've built and love the vision and forethought put into what you wanted the end result to be.

Thanks, you will get there. Nothing wrong with a little at a time. Nothing wrong with simple rigs or systems either. Heck I started on the stove with extract and evolved from there. Got pretty darn good at it too, those simpler systems taught me a lot. The cooler mash tun and propane burner for boiling makes great beer also, and I have seen some really skilled people make awesome beer with that type of system.

I had already been brewing since 2002. I knew I really loved the hobby and I had a passion for the whole brewing process. I just didn't brew like this. For me it was totally worth waiting a few years, then going for it and upgrading even though it took a long time. What I have now is an awesome system that is easy to use. I have great control where I need it the most, and it is very fun to use. The brew days are a total blast! To top it off my beers really taste fantastic and my friends, family and neighbors are always either coming over to have some of my home brew, or asking me what I am brewing next. I try to brew once a month and I'm brewing batch number 6 on my new rig tomorrow! Go for it brother, just expand here and there as your budget allows. Like the song goes, "Next thing you know Ole Jed's a millionaire!!" :mug:

John

I bet. Like I mentioned in my post in the other thread. I'm on my first electric batch and, wow. I'm impressed with its speed. For sure. It seems I get more steam in the garage but I think that might be because it's not anywhere near as hot. Maybe I should dedicate a spot to the system???
I've gotta get used to the kettle being tethered by the cord. Though the 1 1/2" tri clover fitting makes it easier to clean. I'm thinking about CIP. Maybe....

You should know, I'm gonna rip off your burner move. Being able to still use them for anything (crab boil, power outage, deep frying, etc) is genius.

I love the 1 1/2 inch tri clover fittings for the electric element. It's so easy to take out the element in the boil kettle after every brew and clean it, and no cord dragging behind the kettle. Easier to clean the element and kettle separately. With your mad welding skills you could weld a tri clover fitting up in no time! As far as the burner move go for it, I think it's great. Have everyone over for a huge crab boil and use those gas burners! I also thought the same thing about if the power ever went out for a long time like in a hurricane situation here in Florida. If that ever happened at least I could use the stand to cook on it and we could eat!

John

IMG_0837.jpg
I went with the housing from brewers hardware.
Yours is the one from still dragon right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been toying with the idea of a thread. Document my journey into electric brewing and the rebuild process.

I've got a lllllloooonnnnngggg way to go to catch up to you!!!
What's your favorite method of cleaning the elements? I was worried I'd get water where I don't want it. I also had some whiteish stuff on the element when I took it out of the kettle. Proteins maybe??

You should definitely make a thread. I use a sponge and you can spread apart the element enough to get the sponge inbetween the top and bottom folded back portion of the element. I also use about an 8 inch piece of weed wacking string and make it into a U. Run the end through the element and grab the other side and hold each end, one end in each hand and move the string back and forth. It will remove the gunk no problem. The white stuff is very common and you will get it on the element every time. Even if you clean it all off a small film of it may come back. It will flake off when it is dry. This is normal.

John

Good tip on the weed wacker string. I'll have to give that try. Thank you.
I used a brush and it worked pretty good. I still have some white stuff left on the element but not much.

I love the 1 1/2 inch tri clover fittings for the electric element. It's so easy to take out the element in the boil kettle after every brew and clean it, and no cord dragging behind the kettle. Easier to clean the element and kettle separately. With your mad welding skills you could weld a tri clover fitting up in no time! As far as the burner move go for it, I think it's great. Have everyone over for a huge crab boil and use those gas burners! I also thought the same thing about if the power ever went out for a long time like in a hurricane situation here in Florida. If that ever happened at least I could use the stand to cook on it and we could eat!

John

those tri-clover connections are so nice. i went with 2" on mine, even easier to snake the ripple element in/out. on my hlt, i take it out so i can move the kettle and dumpe the last little bit of water. then i set the kettle on the floor to dry with a towel. similar for the boil kettle. i use a plate chiller and clean it out after the brew day with recirculated pbw and actually set the boil element in the pbw to clean that as well (just the element portion, not all the wiring parts).

Pm me. It's all about giving back in this hobby and I have met some really good people here over the years. Tell you what, you pay the shipping and I'll send you one!

John

Pm me. It's all about giving back in this hobby and I have met some really good people here over the years. Tell you what, you pay the shipping and I'll send you one!

John

Pm sent
Wow!!! That's extremely generous of you.

those tri-clover connections are so nice. i went with 2" on mine, even easier to snake the ripple element in/out. on my hlt, i take it out so i can move the kettle and dumpe the last little bit of water. then i set the kettle on the floor to dry with a towel. similar for the boil kettle. i use a plate chiller and clean it out after the brew day with recirculated pbw and actually set the boil element in the pbw to clean that as well (just the element portion, not all the wiring parts).

You know I just caught this. I made a mistake on a prior post (post # 169). I actually do have the 2 inch tri- clover connections for my ripple elements on my HLT and Boil kettles and NOT the 1 1/2 inch like I posted. You can see in post # 3 that 2 inch holes were made for the 2 inch tri- clover ferrules. I agree the 2 inch opening is a lot easier to snake the element in and out of the kettles.

John

All I can say is if you are building this type of herms system do yourself a favor and get the center inlet pump heads and save yourself some headaches!! I was also even able to recirculate boiling wort to sanitize my chiller and do a whirlpool during chilling.

Here are some pics of the two different pump heads: The center inlet is on the right and my old inline head is on the left.
View attachment 331238
Look at the small opening just to the upper left corner of the shaft in the left pump head, as compared to the much bigger center opening/hole surrounding the shaft in the center inlet pump head.
View attachment 331239

View attachment 331240

View attachment 331241
Brew day went smooth!
View attachment 331242

View attachment 331243
Recirculating during the mash.
View attachment 331244
The wort really cleared nicely.
View attachment 331245
Sparging
View attachment 331246
Oh yea I got a new Fermenter, first time using it instead of glass carboys, I really like it so far!
View attachment 331247

Bringing up an old post, but what is the headache that occurs when not using the center inlet pump?

What's the deciding factor (if using you're electric panel) when choosing 125 or 250VAC?
Location. If you live in a country where both 120V and 240V are available, I'd suggest going with a panel that supports those two as 120V pumps are easier to find in places like North America. Live in a country that only has 240V (no 120V) then you're forced to use a 240V panel and pumps.

All that said, if you think you may be moving from North America to (say) Europe where 120v isn't available, you can go with a 240V panel and use it in North America as long as you can get 240V pumps too. Completely up to you. At the end of the day there's no functional difference.

Note: When I say 120V it can vary from 100-125V or so, and when I say 240V it can vary from as low as 200V to as high as 250V.

Kal

So I committed one of my pet peeves and used you're instead of your*. I meant if I'm using one of your panels (such as this Op is doing), are both plugs capable of being plugged into that panel, Kal?

Bringing up an old post, but what is the headache that occurs when not using the center inlet pump?

Hi awoitte, for me it was night and day. When I used the non center inlet pump I had very low flow into the mash tun. It was to the point where it was almost as bad as a stuck mash. I did have some flow but it was barely a trickle. When I switched to the center inlet pump heads like Kal recommends I could run the pump to the mash tun full bore and the temp was easily kept at the mash temp I needed. No hassle and smooth sailing. I have a bleeder valve on both pumps and I used them for both type of pump heads and the problem was not getting them primed. It was that the non center inlet pump head could not handle moving the fluid to where it needed to be and the center inlet head just performed flawlessly. Kal has certain things he recommends in his build for a reason, it just flat out works! Hope this helps.

John

So I committed one of my pet peeves and used you're instead of your*.
We've all done that! ;)

I meant if I'm using one of your panels (such as this Op is doing), are both plugs capable of being plugged into that panel, Kal?
Gotcha! Sorry, no.

The pump receptacles in my 120/240V design supply 120V to the pumps since they're meant only to be used with 120V pumps. The receptacles are (usually) rated to 125V only and 120V is supplied. We use L5-15 (125V/15A) receptacles on this panel.

The pump receptacles in my 240V only design supply 240V to the pumps since they're meant only to be used with 240V pumps. The receptacles are different ase they need to support 240V (they are usually rated to 250V). We use L6-15 (250V/15A) receptacles on this panel.

The receptacles can't know what pump you're using (120V vs 240V) so they needs to be wired correctly in the first place to supply the proper voltage to the pumps you have.

That said, I'm confused and guessing a bit why you're asking all this. If you want to take this offline email me at [email protected] and we can discuss and not distract from this thread. Let me know why you're asking and I can help. Cheers!

Kal

@jcav! You embarked on this build 7+ years ago! I have a propane setup using keggles as well. Now that you have been brewing on this system for many years, what tweaks have you made with it?

I'm looking at adding a HERMs to my setup and going electric and this thread has been incredible wealth of information. I primarily brew 5 gallon batches. I currently have a March 315 pump which I could use to recirculate the HLT since I've not had problems using that to move my liquid around. For the HERMS I'll need to get one of the pumps recommended from The Electric Brewery.

Last edited:
Hey @scubahiker! I absolutely love this rig. I still brew 10 gallons once a month and I am going on batch number 88 next month. This system rocks and I get the clearest wort into the boil kettle and ultimately into the fermenter. I have upgraded several things over the years. I have upgraded the valves on all the vessels to stainless butterfly valves as I only need them fully on or off. The valves on the pumps are the new Blichmann aseptic tri clamp valves. These valves are great and I can dial in precisely and balance both liquid levels during the sparge in both the mash tun and the boil kettle.

The march pumps that I have work great but you can use Chugger as well. I also have Kal's (from the Electric Brewery) new tri clamp electric heating elements. These were not available when I built my rig but the tri clamp versions are available now. I like that I can remove them for cleaning. Best of all though is that it is hard wired and does not use a plug. In the other type removeable heating elements the plug in type that I used to have heats up at the plug end too much and causes build up on the plugs and all sorts of issues so I got rid of them. Kal's tri clamp heating elements are built like tanks and very easy to replace and rewire if you have to replace a heating element as there is a lot of room in the box to work in.

I upgraded to double chillers also. One for the ground water (which is warm here in FLorida) and one for ice water that I use in the mash tun while chilling. This works great. You will love going electric and will never look back. I love this rig and Kal's system just flat out works! Good luck on your build and if you need anything or have questions just ask or pm me!

John

Here is a look at how my rig looks now.
rig.jpg

Back