really Happy Holidays..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tservice

Reaction score
Sorry just a short rant... wtf is going on with people saying Happy Holidays, it is the christmas season.... Let me guess th tree I am putting up is a holiday tree..... Hell no. it is a CHRISTMAS TREE!!
damn it is getting on my nerves so bad...
rant is now over for now..........

It is a habit we get into because not only is it Christmas season, but also Chanukah, and a few others. "Happy holidays" is fair because you are wishing someone well and may not know how they choose to celebrate. "Season' Greetings" is the same thing.

But as for "holiday tree"? That's just ridiculous. Being PC as a means of being polite to others who you may not know is one thing, but there's no need for something as crazy as a "holiday tree". Christmas is the only tradition that involves decorating a tree.

I think the only news organization that still reports the "War on Christmas" is what the OP watches. Christmas is really over board now. First we celebrated it from Christmas to the next work day after New Years. Now it's from 8:00 pm on Thanksgiving to at least Jan. 2nd. That is like 42 days of Christmas. Where is the outrage?

it's all good. i don't go for the modern pc bs... or the old pc bs... mal, t, i wish you and everyone else merry christmas, great brewing, and enjoy it all you can. life's too short to worry about the small stuff. don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff :D

It's only a holiday tree if a draedle is a holiday top. I celebrate Christmas but will always be appreciative when someone wishes me well regardless of the specific terms. RDWHAHB applies now more than any other time of year.

I'll be putting up my Christmas tree on the second night of Hanukkah. I don't get offended at all when people wish me a merry Christmas. Life's too short to piss and moan about such things. I'd probably celebrate Kwanzaa if there was cause to drink some beer and party with friends. Happy holidays to the group (even to the atheist).

...and the atheist laughs at the lot of you. :p

I bet you still enjoy the office Christmas party, take advantage of sales, enjoy a day off work & maybe even exchange a gift or two. You do know that Christmas is a 1/2 made up, 1/2 hijacked holiday don't you? The Babylonians celebrated the feast of the son of Isis on Dec 25th with partying, feasting & gift giving.

The Romans celebrated winter solstice & called their day "Saturnalia." The Mummers in the modern Holiday parades originated in Saturnalia. In Northern Europe the pagans celebrated winter solstice or "Yule." Many of the traditions we still celebrate today are derived directly from Yule, ESPECIALLY THE TREE & the mistletoe. Besides, having a holiday, any holiday in the middle of the cold, dark winter season was & is just what is needed to keep people from going nuts when they're snowed in.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just passing along some interesting holiday information. Ho, ho, ho! "God Jul!" :D
Regards, GF.

"Happy Holidays" doesn't bother me because there is more than one holiday this time of year.

OTOH, "Holiday tree" is freakin' ridiculous because there's no other holiday that's associated with a decorated pine tree. It's a Christmas tree, plain and simple. I'm not going to call a Christmas tree a "Holiday tree" any more than I'm going to call a Menorah a "holiday candlestick."

Someone said Christmas was HALF made up...

I'd say a holiday that celebrates the birth of a man who never existed 100% made up.

As is typical of Christian traditions, they just renamed a celebration that had been going on for hundreds, thousands of years before they arrived on the scene.

I'd say a holiday that celebrates the birth of a man who never existed 100% made up.

There's relatively little question that the man did exist, and the historical record is reasonably solid. Whether he was 1/3rd of a divine trinity, on the other hand, has tended to be more contested.

There is virtually NO historical record of the man. Nothing from his own lifetime. No paintings, drawings, mentions in journals, nothing. The record of the man begins at least 50 years after his "death". And the earliest documents that could be pointed to as "historical" are all problematic. Pliny, Tacitus, Suetonius...the best candidates for a solid historical reference are all very questionable, and come 100 years am more after his death.

For man who was supposedly so awesome, you'd think there was at least one image of him created in his own lifetime. One mention on the histories being written in the time and place he was said to have lived.

Offended by the phrase Happy Holidays? Just shows how we Americans think there is no world outside of our borders. Reminds me of the time on another site where some people were chatting in Spanish. Somebody chimed in and told them to speak English or go home. I kindly told the moron it's called the "World Wide Web" for a reason and that the people probably were at home. In fact they were.....in Spain. So Happy Holidays! Don't get upset because you feel your holiday is more important than someone else's holiday. Because, it is just as much based on BS as your own. I personally celebrate the one true God....The FSM.

Ramen.

why separate our beliefs into a who's right/wrong? Jewish, Christian, Atheist... we all should be getting the time off to spend with our friends and/or families. IMO, the good will toward all attitude should be the focus and extend past the season into everyday life.

Sorry just a short rant... wtf is going on with people saying Happy Holidays, it is the christmas season.... Let me guess th tree I am putting up is a holiday tree..... Hell no. it is a CHRISTMAS TREE!!
damn it is getting on my nerves so bad...
rant is now over for now..........

rant away... I raged when I saw news articles & stores talking about or advertising "holiday trees"

wtf.

holiday tree? really?

In Northern Europe the pagans celebrated winter solstice or "Yule." Many of the traditions we still celebrate today are derived directly from Yule, ESPECIALLY THE TREE & the mistletoe. Besides, having a holiday, any holiday in the middle of the cold, dark winter season was & is just what is needed to keep people from going nuts when they're snowed in.

Probably best just to go old-school and refer to it as a "Yule Tree."

There's relatively little question that the man did exist, and the historical record is reasonably solid. Whether he was 1/3rd of a divine trinity, on the other hand, has tended to be more contested.

Apparently you're not familiar with the Holy Quadratic. That includes Marlee, the wonderdog. This quadrature is distinct and includes the four entities, yet forms one God that now includes the 5th element: mans best friend.

Merry Marleemas! (easy everyone, enjoy the season)

untitled8-57584.jpg

Apparently you're not familiar with the Holy Quadratic. That includes Marlee, the wonderdog. This quadrature is distinct and includes the four entities, yet forms one God that now includes the 5th element: mans best friend.

Merry Marleemas! (easy everyone, enjoy the season)

untitled8-57584.jpg

My heart grew three sizes this day ...

Good Lord those puppies are adorable.

Can I just say that I feel weird suggesting that a person NOT rant, being whom I am... but... I dont know...

Every year on my little street there is a parade portraying Christ's passion (in Spanish), a ceremony of Greeks and Greek Americans marching with candles during Orthodox Easter (amazing to behold by the way), and a familiar stranger (I wish I knew his name, but its too late now) gives me a handful of almonds and dried figs before Eid at the supermarket, where he works. He doesn't think I'm a Muslim, he's just caught up in the holiday, and he and I are on good terms.

If we lived in the Vatican or even Mexico or Ireland I would see where the OP is coming from...

But this is the United States of America...

Happy Holidays all

There is virtually NO historical record of the man. Nothing from his own lifetime. ...The (written) record of the man begins at least 50 years after his "death".

Familiar with oral tradition? These guys were masters.

Anyway, not the place to debate this. Merry Christmas to you.

Oral tradition is great, but Written history from that part of the world at that time was pretty prolific. You'd think one of the many historians writing things down would have taken note of the man. But none did.

Its not really a debate. No physical evidence of the man (dating from his lifetime) survives. Or has been found, if you prefer.

Happy Solstice to you and yours and all the best in 2013!

Back