really Happy Holidays..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.C. crap. Just like the schools have a "winter" concert rather than the Christmas concert.
Doesn't even matter if there aren't any families that don't do Christmas at the school, let alone that are offended by it.

Happy holidays cards?? It's Merry Christmas cards!! Or if you are into Festivus or whatever, just say that instead of the catch all P.C. crap.

We looked into buying Christmas, Hanukkah and "other" cards one year at the office for our clients... saved a few hundreds of dollars (you heard it right) when we decided to just buy Holiday cards. Sorry, the "PC" rant doesn't really hold water.

Anyone posting about PC crab would be pissed if someone wished the a happy Hanukah this week. If I know someone's religion I'll recognize the holiday by name (Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, Fedtivus, whatever). But if I don't know why risk alienating someone who as an equally valid and important holiday occurring this month.

Also it's not Christmas yet, you guys have another 15 days.

Reminds me of my favorite Christmas song from South Park:

It's once a year, it's Christmas time!
And it happens once a year.
It's once a year, it's Christmas time!
When we hear about how Christmas only comes
Once a year.

You know it's Christmas when everyone gets up their own asses about how it's Christmas

Now why would I be mad if someone Jewish wished me a happy Hannukah?

It doesn't hurt me in any way, it's a way of expressing good wishes to me and it's their religions holiday.

If we had a Jewish population around here I would expect to see some cool things that represent the season to them.

You have to be pretty uptight to be upset about something like that.

I don't want people telling me Happy Independence Day on June 20. I don't want Happy Halloween on October 16. I don't want to hear Happy birthday 2 weeks early.

I don't want to hear Merry Christmas on December 11 and I don't give a s**t if someone else wants to hear Merry Christmas on Dec. 11. Bah Humbug.

Now Im confused. You seem to have argued both sides of the debate, sharps. :confused:

Not really. Happy holidays doesn't express anyone's belief. It's a catch all that even someone in a Christmas store might even say so no one is offended.
Merry Christmas is what most people would say if they weren't worried about offending someone.

If someone celebrates Hannukah and that's what they say, I'm not offended at all.
I understand the spirit of what they are saying, know it's based on what they believe and appreciate the good wishes.

I don't understand people who could be offended by well wishes from someone who is referencing their religions foundation.

dobRL.jpg

There ya go, tough to argue with that. Somebody wants to wish me well on (insert holiday here), I'm grateful & will likely say "same to you."
Regards, GF. :mug:

When you stop and think about it, the debate, that happens every frigging year, pretends there is a downside to something that has all upside.

If I'm at the Egyptian Cafe and the gentleman pouring my coffee wishes me a happy Eid, that made me happy, because he was being kind. If he takes the time to find out a little about me and that same man wishes me a Merry Christmas, then I'm both happy and flattered.

So... you can make your neighbor a) happy or b) happy and flattered and it took you less time either way than it would to make a piece of toast...

If that's PC crap sign me the f up!

It's like the other day when I said good morning to someone and they said, "No, it isn't."

To which I replied, "I wasn't claiming that it was. Only wishing that you have a good morning."

He just snorted and walked off. Some people are just happier being miserable. Those same people would be offended if you wished them a Happy Festivus.

And what if by "Happy Holidays" what our well-wisher is saying is "I hope you go to parties for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Devali, and the Winter Solstice and have craft beers at all of them that I hope you enjoy."?

Thats a lot of words, and expensive to print on a card. Isn't frugality a virtue?

And what if by "Happy Holidays" what our well-wisher is saying is "I hope you go to parties for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Devali, and the Winter Solstice and have craft beers at all of them that I hope you enjoy."?

Thats a lot of words, and expensive to print on a card. Isn't frugality a virtue?

+1...Bill O'Reilly has everyone believing that when I say "happy holidays" I actually mean: "F*ck you and your Christian beliefs".

The reality is I'm saying "happy holidays".

That prat went to my alma mater, and spoke at the commensement the year before I graduated. For that reason and others, I havent donated a thin dime to their alumni orgs.

But back to the topic at hand... ever celebrate two holidays in the same December? Happy Holidays indeed! Latkes AND Christmas ham/goose? I don't know about you all, but sign this cowboy up.

There ya go, tough to argue with that. Somebody wants to wish me well on (insert holiday here), I'm grateful & will likely say "same to you."
Regards, GF. :mug:

That is it in a nut shell. Someone has taken the time out of their day to say something kind and nice to you. Enjoy that and return the favor. Heck, they could have told you to "**** off!"...

I personally am mad as hornets about the war currently being waged by so-called Christians against Advent. All of you wishing each other Merry Christmas now are the problem . . .

;)

^ that means my tongue is firmly in cheek

Back