Really bad "meaty" pear cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jitza

Reaction score
I'll give the full background story first before my questions. I'm a real newbie to homebrew. About sixth months ago I tried to press my own pear cider. For a couple weeks I collected conference pears off my tree (about 2kg) and then I bought a few more kilos from lidl. The conferences we still slightly hard so I think I jumped the gun a bit but I cut all my pears and chucked them into a rubble sack and smashed them up with a sledge hammer. Then I started pressing them in the press but I didn't have enough wooden blocks so I stacked some sandy gym weights that had been sat outside into the press. I then let the juice press in my conservatory for probably over a day and chucked it in my demijohn with some wine yeast. I threw in a whole (uncrushed oops) campden tab and left it in my shed with the airlock on for around half a year. The other day I took it out and added an actually crushed campden tab in and left it. I've now gone to filter it and took a swig of about 50ml. At first it tasted really nice with a sweet flavour - the aftertaste was horrible and what I can only describe as "meaty" (but no vinegar flavour). I've since chucked it out.

My questions are: how many stupid mistakes have I made? What is the meaty taste? And has anyone else made such stupid mistakes as I have?

Back