Kveik Voss Cider Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard Kveik Voss does great things for a cider so for my first attempt at using Voss I took the apple juice I always make cider with, one gallon, as well as a 2nd brew of 1 gallon of pear nectar and tried that... each with 5g of Mangrove Jack's Kveik Yeast.

I did it how I always do with a 1/2 tsp of fermaid-o for nutrients at pitch....think I threw 1/8 ts of citric acid in there at pitch too.... After two weeks I checked them and wham!!!!!!!!!! they smelled and tasted like amonia'y dog piss! Worst thing I ever made. I swear I sanitized as I normally do, not sure why it tastes so bad, both of them having the same terrible piss flavour.

My basement was around 18-20 degrees C, is it because I should be fermenting at a higher temp?

Drinking my Voss Kviek cider as I'm typing this.
Fermented at 60F and it's great! 2 week from pitch to bottle and 2 weeks since bottle. 10% but.. was the lallemand
IMG_20210805_175836_596_compress98.jpg

I've never used Kveik, but the last cider I brewed, prior to the one I just bottled, was fermented with S-189 and it was the only time I ever got a sulphur smell with that yeast.

I've never used Kveik, but the last cider I brewed, prior to the one I just bottled, was fermented with S-189 and it was the only time I ever got a sulphur smell with that yeast.
Sounds like a nutrient problem. Well lack of nutrient problem...But yea you're right. S-189 is usually very clean.. but never actually used it in a cider

Drinking my Voss Kviek cider as I'm typing this.
Fermented at 60F and it's great! 2 week from pitch to bottle and 2 weeks since bottle. 10% but.. was the lallemand View attachment 739301
That looks just wonderful! Any chance you could share your recipe? I'm in Taiwan, so I don't have a huge variety of imported apples, but I sure would be willing to try. Thanks in advance!

I've made a lot of cider with voss (both lallemand and mangrove jack) and bought apple juice.
Fermented at ambient temperature of probably average 30-35 oC.
Much lower pitch rate though. I don't even weigh anymore, but I would say maybe 1 gram per 5 litre, maybe less.
Fermentation done in max 5 days, but I let it go for 7. Carbonation (equivalent of 8 gr/litre of table sugar added per bottle) done within 5 days, but i let it go for 7.
Then in the fridge. Absolute minimum of 2-3 days in the fridge. Longer is better.
Nothing else added. No extra sugar, no nutrients, no acid...
Easiest easiest brew possible, esp in hot weather conditions

Back