REAL Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I've got my smoker going with a pound of barley soaking up hickory. Anyone have experience with this? How does this look for tonight's project?

1 lb Barley (smoked)
1 lb Caramunich II
1 lb Chocolate Malt
3~ lbs Dark LME
4 lbs Light DME

1oz Chinook 60 min
.5 oz Chinook 30 min
.5 oz Chinook 15 min
1 oz Willamette 10 min

.5 tsp Irish Moss 15 min

Wyeast London Ale III

Just tossed them into the brew pot. They went 3.5 hours on constant smoke.

Let us know how it turns out. I've read to let the malt "rest" in a paper bag or the like for a couple weeks after smoking or roasting it to let some of the harsher compounds air out, as well as accounts of people not doing that and getting some unpleasant off-flavors that take a while to age out (or purge from a keg). I'm interested to hear your experience with it! Mmm, smoked porter.

No waiting here. It went, still warm, from the smoker to the pot. I do intend to give this one a pretty decent aging time. I figure I won't be feeling smoked porter in the summer so a nice 6-9 month age should do nicely.

I can tell you, based on the flavor from the wort, it lives up to it's name, "Shred's Burnt Ass Smoked Porter" :D

I did a smoked porter in the beginning of december, extract recipe similar to yours. Came out fantastic! Took a good 2 months to age out correctly, but now its smooth, dark, and very roasty with a nice toasted smoked flavor. Big hit with my buddies over the winter!

I have a few left now that I bottled at the end of last year, so bottled 3 months now. I'm debating saving a few till next fall and see how they come out!

Nice. I will, undoubtedly, sample a few here and there, but I'm intending to let this one go until next fall. If I have the success you did, hopefully it will age nicely!

Took a hydrometer reading and tasted this last night. I'm planning to age it until the fall, but it's almost drinkable right out of primary. I'm excited about this one. Even ordered custom caps :rockin:

lOhMUFI.jpg

Bottled this one a few days ago. The trub was thick and nasty at the bottom of the fermenter!

One thing I didn't mention (I know it's generally a no-no, but I wanted to experiment) - I boiled the smoked grains *gasp!* for the full 60 minutes in an effort to extract some tannins to "raunch-up" the flavor a bit. Based on preliminary tastes, I think it's going to age nicely and the tannins will, in fact, pair well with the dirty, smokey flavor of the beer.

I'll probably give this one at least 6 weeks before I even take a sample. I won't put it into regular rotation until the end of the summer.

Back