REAL feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeRoe

Reaction score
I really want to start to get REAL feedback on my homebrew. I do want to start sending out beers to competition but not sure where to even start? Which ones to send to? Medals would be great, but I just want to know how to improve?

What's the best way to do this? Would love to join a local homebrew club but afraid with my work schedule it is just not possible right now. Hours are pretty ridiculous for the next couple years.

Anyone?

Has anyone had success sending to members here for tips/tricks/suggestions? Any BJCP certified members who would be willing to drink my beer and "score" it honestly? Maybe save some $ on competitions if it is not even at the proper level.

^ that is a great idea. Also, what part of the country are you in?

I'm a bjcp judge, I would happily drink your beer and give you feedback on it. I tried to set up something like this awhile back but got no feedback from the community. Its way cheaper and way more personal and optimal for pure feedback from just sending to comps. PM me if you want to UPS/FedEx me a bottle, ill happily take the time to fill out a score sheet for it and or others.

See if there's a local homebrew club. I know you said you're really busy, but some meet only once every month or two, and so if you can make it, all the better. You get to know some great people and get real feedback, which is so valuable.

I definitely think it's been one reason why my beers have gotten better!

I'm a bjcp judge, I would happily drink your beer and give you feedback on it. I tried to set up something like this awhile back but got no feedback from the community. Its way cheaper and way more personal and optimal for pure feedback from just sending to comps. PM me if you want to UPS/FedEx me a bottle, ill happily take the time to fill out a score sheet for it and or others.

That's a really generous offer! Hopefully people take you up on it.

I'm in SE Michigan. Thanks for the feedback all.

Poptarts, I'll be taking you up on that offer here in the next month or so by sending you out a couple bottles at once. That way, I can maximize it all per shipping cost!

I'm in SE Michigan. Thanks for the feedback all.

Poptarts, I'll be taking you up on that offer here in the next month or so by sending you out a couple bottles at once. That way, I can maximize it all per shipping cost!

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Is it though? Lol.

Free beer for critiques? I'd be offering that service all over the interwebs if I was BJCP certified.

Nobody will know better. Just use beer advocate review-type flavor descriptors to flex your superior palate.

*Lots of good comps in the midwest - Midwinter and Drunk Monk are two great competitions that are well run with lots of quality judges. Comps run by Beer Barons of Milwaukee and Kansas City Biermeisters are some that I have always felt were well done. Some good ones in Minneapolis area too. The link earlier is great place to start.

*As mentioned - find a local club or two - that is a great way to get feedback and advice.

*Exchanging beer with folks on the forum is easily one of the most productive things I have done as a brewer. I have sent beers to at least a dozen people on here and AHA forum for feedback. I have gotten some great advice that has really helped me over the years. I am a BJCP certified judge and have entered a lot of competitions. I would gladly give you "honest" feedback if you are looking. Would send you some beer back as well - always great to have others sample your beer.

Id enter more competitions if there were more around here. Only one is 90min away. It was definitely worth it this year, btu I still havent gotten my damn scoresheets back

I bring just about every beer I make to the brewery a block down the street. The head brewer there has one of the most discerning palates ive ever come across so I really value his input.

Other than that, ive just swapped with other HBTers. Id try PMing some people to exchange a 6pack

Send some brews down to the Brewers Cup in the Summer in Indy. Biggest competition in Indiana, with homebrewers and Probrewers alike from all over the midwest. Getting feedback from comps is a good way to steer you in the right direction. I am lucky enough to be good friends with some pro brewers and have them sample my brews time to time and get some constructive advise.

Back