Real Ale Brewing Co Blanco, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Real Ale suffers from a lot of consistency issues. I have had six packs taste great and some taste awful, same issue with taps of their stuff around town. A lot of their recipes are pretty timid, there's just not a huge flavor punch on any of their beers. Don't get me started on Fireman's 4, it's only slightly more defensible than Shiner Light Blonde.

When you drink an IPA the hops are on display and the malt flavor is usually mild at best. Well the malt is mild, but I got almost no hop flavor, tasted more like hay, and the aroma was of grapes, it was just bad. It's possible I had a bad bottle ( I only had one) but the one I had was very dissapointing.
For the record, I have no ties to Real Ale. I really like the IPA and I've gotten a nice nose/hop flavor from the ones I've had. Taste is subjective of course and I may have malfunctioning taste buds. I'd say you may have gotten a bad bottle and try another. It isn't as hop forward as a lot of IPA's out there I admit.

pm5k00 said:
When you drink an IPA the hops are on display and the malt flavor is usually mild at best. Well the malt is mild, but I got almost no hop flavor, tasted more like hay, and the aroma was of grapes, it was just bad. It's possible I had a bad bottle ( I only had one) but the one I had was very dissapointing.

I can't help but think that you were in possession of a bad bottle that could've been old or exposed to heat. Hop character can drop dramatically over time. I heard on the jamil show that something around 50% of the hop character and ibu's in a beer will be gone in 6 months.

That being said it is not a super hoppy west coast style IPA. For me, it's a more English style IPA with more earthy and floral notes than the piney citrus notes.

I tried the Brewhouse Brown Ale and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sucks I can't get it regularly since I don't live in the country. :(

I think Fireman's 4 is waaaaay better than Shiner Blonde, though, I can't say I'm a huge fan of either. The Lost Gold I had was a bit disgusting I have to admit...almost chalky tasting hop profile.

That said, I like the brown and just had 2010 Sisyphus, which was fantastic.

When I lived in Austin, the most notable beery highlights were Live Oak Hefe Weizen, (512) Pecan Porter, and the rare appearance of a cask of Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye, glorious in its freshness and dry-hopped perfume.

Fireman's is a great blonde ale in my opinion. It's my go to session beer along with Southern Star's Bombshell Blonde or St. Arnold's Lawnmower.

Devil's Backbone is a great seasonal. Not a huge fan of their IPA. I think 512's blows it away.

I had their Phoenixx Double ESB on cask and it was excellent. I'm hoping I can get it again sometime soon.

If its not uber sour funky Belgian that strictly adheres to a style only Beer judges have ever heard of, and if more than just the 6 people in my dungeons and dragons/mead and ale club have heard it then its not a good beer and I will use talking bad about it as an oppurtunity to show how big my beer snob weiner is compared to yours. And even though im from Texas I will sh*t talk other Texans who are down in the Hill Country doing their thing and breaking the top 50 of craft beer sales in this country instead of supporting them.

Some people man......I swear.

First, I really like the Fireman's #4 and IPA. I haven't really had, what I would call, a "bad beer" from Real Ale Co. I like it!!! :mug:

Just found their oktoberfest and I really like it. No idea if it's a good marzen or not since I don't really have a grasp of that style yet but it sure is tasty.

Back