Real Ale Brewing Co Blanco, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJL

Reaction score
Real Ale Brewing. Anybody tried their beer? Good? Bad? Thoughts? Favorites? A guy I work with was college friends with the owner and said I should check them out. So, just curious if any of you guys have an opinion about their.

Ive had their beer but its been a while. I remember having a rye beer that they made and it was really good. I also remember their pale ale being ordinary

Pretty good stuff. Their current seasonal, Devil's Backbone (a Belgian triple), I like a lot.

Devil's Backbone is decent. You need to try the Barrel Aged Version. Real Ale is pretty good, it is a "decent" Texas Brewery.

I toured their brewery last August I think. They were serving their barrel aged Devil's Backbone in the tasting room. Red wine barrels if I'm not mistaken.

JJL said:
Real Ale Brewing. Anybody tried their beer? Good? Bad? Thoughts? Favorites? A guy I work with was college friends with the owner and said I should check them out. So, just curious if any of you guys have an opinion about their.

They make great beer. The guy that said "decent" doesn't know what he's talking about.

Their last seasonal The Phoenix XXESB is great. This is the first year they've bottled their IPA - Lost Gold is one of the best balanced IPAs on the planet.

When you can get your hands on it grab a bottle of their Sisyphus barleywine, or in the winter their coffee porter.

Their current seasonal The Devils Backbone is not your average tripel. It doesn't have a ton of fruitiness or spice but it has a fair amount of funk that is almost saison like. The Devils Share is a cask only version that they age in Chardonnay barrels. Both are wonderful.

So yeah.... IMO their beers are worth trying out.

Homebrewtastic said:
They make great beer. The guy that said "decent" doesn't know what he's talking about.

Their last seasonal The Phoenix XXESB is great. This is the first year they've bottled their IPA - Lost Gold is one of the best balanced IPAs on the planet.

When you can get your hands on it grab a bottle of their Sisyphus barleywine, or in the winter their coffee porter.

Their current seasonal The Devils Backbone is not your average tripel. It doesn't have a ton of fruitiness or spice but it has a fair amount of funk that is almost saison like. The Devils Share is a cask only version that they age in Chardonnay barrels. Both are wonderful.

So yeah.... IMO their beers are worth trying out.

Wish I had your knowledge, because I "don't know what I'm taking about". Glad you dictate all and specify what is great and what is not... Some day I hope to be as awesome as you. Last time I checked it was a forum of vast differences..... I guess not. Lost Gold and Sisyphus were meh at best. Double ESB was another forgettable Texas beer. You want good, check out No Label Ridgeback or Jester King Witchmaker or their Black Metal. Hey but guess what, that is my opinion not something I'm going to say someone else doesn't know what their talking about or has to follow.

Wish I had your knowledge, because I "don't know what I'm taking about". Glad you dictate all and specify what is great and what is not... Some day I hope to be as awesome as you. Last time I checked it was a forum of vast differences..... I guess not. Lost Gold and Sisyphus were meh at best. Double ESB was another forgettable Texas beer. You want good, check out No Label Ridgeback or Jester King Witchmaker or their Black Metal. Hey but guess what, that is my opinion not something I'm going to say someone else doesn't know what their talking about or has to follow.

Wow... so do you just get this upset on the internet when someone JOKINGLY gives you a hard time? Or do you act like a tween in real life too? Just curious. I just kind of assumed that everyone on here had the mindset of an adult and not one of someone getting ready to go watch Justin Bieber.

And your right. Jester King is epik with a "k".

I really like the lost gold when it's fresh because it has such a great balance. It's not overly citrusy, and leans well on a more English style of an IPA. And the Sisyphus is great for me because I don't really like west coast style barleywines. Most of the time your American Barleywine is barely a stone's throw from an IIPA. Their's is more restrained on the hops and focuses on the barley and perfumey alcohols.

Yooper said:
I like the ones I tried. The blonde is "ok" but I"m not a blonde ale fan anyway. I really liked the rye pale ale.

I'm with you on the blonde. It's good for what it is... Intro craft beer, but not something I purchase regularly. The rye pale ale is super good.

I'm a fan! One of the better TX breweries that I've had. I need to make the pilgrammage up to Blanco one of these days.

Wow... so do you just get this upset on the internet when someone JOKINGLY gives you a hard time? Or do you act like a tween in real life too? Just curious. I just kind of assumed that everyone on here had the mindset of an adult and not one of someone getting ready to go watch Justin Bieber.

And your right. Jester King is epik with a "k".

I really like the lost gold when it's fresh because it has such a great balance. It's not overly citrusy, and leans well on a more English style of an IPA. And the Sisyphus is great for me because I don't really like west coast style barleywines. Most of the time your American Barleywine is barely a stone's throw from an IIPA. Their's is more restrained on the hops and focuses on the barley and perfumey alcohols.

Not upset just passionate about beer like you. I prefer epic with a "c" :mug:

I'm up here visiting the folks in Fort Worth, Texas and I picked up a sampler 6-pack of it at the grocery store for $6.99... I really enjoyed the Brown Ale and Rye Pale Ale...the regular pale ale is ordinary but still good. Hell, for $6.99 a sixer it is a great buy that is good craft beer for BMC prices.

I am so so about their beers. Their oktoberfest was not an oktoberfest by any means.

I agree that their Octoberfest wasn't the best example available last year, but I think not calling it an Octoberfest is a bit harsh. If Hofbrau can release a non-Marzen Octoberfest, Real Ale sure can release a so-so example of the style. At least it was better than Shiner's and Leinie's. :)

jvcjbl said:
Not upset just passionate about beer like you. I prefer epic with a "c" :mug:

Right on. If you ever get the chance give their coffee porter a go. Last year they switched up the recipe a bit and it tastes twice as good as it used to.

barrooze said:
I agree that their Octoberfest wasn't the best example available last year, but I think not calling it an Octoberfest is a bit harsh. If Hofbrau can release a non-Marzen Octoberfest, Real Ale sure can release a so-so example of the style. At least it was better than Shiner's and Leinie's. :)

I'm with you on the shiner "Oktoberfest" it was strait up bad. And I wouldn't call real ale's great, but it wasn't really true to style. As a stand alone beer I liked it, but thought it wasn't malty enough and had more hop character than an Oktoberfest should.

The IPA and Phoenixx ESB are some of my favorites. The Brewhouse Brown is not bad at all either. I agree with some others that their pale ale is very ordinary.

I really enjoy their Rio Blanco Pale Ale. Quite a bit sweeter than most American Pale Ales. It won a gold at GABF for Special Bitter. Lost Gold IPA is a nice, light IPA. The Coffee Porter is well balanced, the coffee is nice and subtle.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to see about trying a couple next time I get down that way.

JJL said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to see about trying a couple next time I get down that way.

I am a huge fan for their Fireman 4. F4 is a great summer time beer.

Pretty good stuff. Fireman's 4 is a good session/summer beer. Their coffee porter is excellent as well.

I like real ale brews, have a particular liking for the Devil's backbone and their Buried hatchet stout. Worth giving a try at least.

And to Caleb, Jester king has both the Witchmaker Rye and Black Metal Stout.

I like real ale brews, have a particular liking for the Devil's backbone and their Buried hatchet stout. Worth giving a try at least.

And to Caleb, Jester king has both the Witchmaker Rye and Black Metal Stout.

Buried Hatchet is Southern Star.

I'm brewing a Fireman's #4 clone tomorrow to take to the lake with my girlfriend's family for the 4th of july weekend. The LHBS didn't have crystal hops though, so I subbed some hersbrucker instead. Hope it turns out good!

jbsg02 said:
I'm brewing a Fireman's #4 clone tomorrow to take to the lake with my girlfriend's family for the 4th of july weekend. The LHBS didn't have crystal hops though, so I subbed some hersbrucker instead. Hope it turns out good!

Can you share your recipe? Was thinking of brewing a blonde this weekend.

Can you share your recipe? Was thinking of brewing a blonde this weekend.

From what I have read, it is simply 2-row, crystal hops and an english ale yeast. The brew shop didn't have crystal hops, so I subbed hallertau hersbrucker. Based on your efficiency, shoot for an ABV around 5.1%, or an original gravity of 1.052, which is about 10 pounds at 70% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch. I did 1.5 oz of hops at 60 min and .5 oz at 10 minutes aiming for 21 IBUS. I don't know the hop schedule they used, so that was just made up. I used safale s-04, rehydrated. I have yet to find a true fireman's 4 clone, but this should get me close enough.

I like Real Ale. Solid beers.

If I remember the story correctly, they got Pierre Celis out of retirement. Celis was brewing out of their facility. They had some pretty good Belgian styles. I'm not sure if they're still brewing those.

I heard Celis recently passed away.

Their Brown Ale is my favorite. I like Fireman's 4 as well. Devil's Backbone is very good and it only takes one to feel its effects. They sell a sampler pack that can get you started.

There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on here.. and here is mine, I think their pale, devils backbone, and brown are good not great. I like the rye a little better. The ESB wasn't very good, and the lost gold IPA was the worst IPA I've ever had. Firemans #4 was surprisingly good, and I haven't got around to trying their barleywine yet.

Yup, just about the same opinion here. Good, solid beer, but not something I will specifically look for at the liquor store.

There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on here.. and here is mine, I think their pale, devils backbone, and brown are good not great. I like the rye a little better. The ESB wasn't very good, and the lost gold IPA was the worst IPA I've ever had. Firemans #4 was surprisingly good, and I haven't got around to trying their barleywine yet.

Could you explain your hatred for the IPA. I'm not attacking you, I'd just like to know what you disliked so much about it. I think it's a pretty tasty brew.

EllisTX said:
Could you explain your hatred for the IPA. I'm not attacking you, I'd just like to know what you disliked so much about it. I think it's a pretty tasty brew.

When you drink an IPA the hops are on display and the malt flavor is usually mild at best. Well the malt is mild, but I got almost no hop flavor, tasted more like hay, and the aroma was of grapes, it was just bad. It's possible I had a bad bottle ( I only had one) but the one I had was very dissapointing.

Back