Reading spec gravity at high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_JP_

Reaction score
Brew day yesterday:

11.5 lb 2-row
1.5 lb 120L crystal

Hit my mash temp of 154°F perfectly. Stirred, came back, stirred, checked again. Still 154°.

Fly sparged and got 6.1 gal of 1.032 @ 144°F (equivalent to 1.049 @ 60°).

Boil 60 min, got 5.0 gal of 1.078 @ 87°F (equivalent to 1.082 @ 60°F).

Does this sound right? 1.049 pre-boil sounded real low to me. I didn't check my efficiency yet.

Did you use a hydrometer to measure you SG? They are wildly inaccurate over 100F. When I used a hydrometer I would take a pitcher and fill it up with ice water, fill my sample tube using a turkey baster and stick it in the ice water bath for a bit to get it down below 80F.

I do believe AHS now sells a hydrometer that is corrected at around 150F to take mash temp readings.

I now have a refractometer and brewday SG reading are soooo much easier.

Jason

Well, as you say you started with 6.1 gallons at 1.049 you would have had to boil off 2.52 gallons leaving 3.44 gallons final volume to hit a gravity of 1.087 (all according to BeerSmith, assuming I'm using the boiloff tool correctly)

I would say it's more likely that the hydrometer correction is an approximate. I've had the same issue. Instead try this:

1. Run off sparge to the boil kettle
  2. Stir up everything in the boil kettle real well
  3. Pull about a half cup of the wort from the boil kettle
  4. Put the container with the wort in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes
  5. Once it gets to about 60 degrees take your preboil gravity reading
My freezer usually chills my sample down to 60F just a few minutes before my 11.5 gallons starts to boil.

Yes, I took readings with a hydrometer. It seemed like something was off there.....

Using my 1.078 @ 87°, 5.0 gal, could someone run beersmith for me and compute my efficiency? (Pleeeese?)

Calculation by hand, assuming 1.1 gal water at 1.000 sg evaporated, yields an O.G. of 1.067 at 60°, which sounds about right. That gives me 86% efficiency though. Did I do that good of a job?

Well, as you say you started with 6.1 gallons at 1.049 you would have had to boil off 2.52 gallons leaving 3.44 gallons final volume to hit a gravity of 1.087 (all according to BeerSmith, assuming I'm using the boiloff tool correctly)

I would say it's more likely that the hydrometer correction is an approximate. I've had the same issue. Instead try this:

1. Run off sparge to the boil kettle
  2. Stir up everything in the boil kettle real well
  3. Pull about a half cup of the wort from the boil kettle
  4. Put the container with the wort in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes
  5. Once it gets to about 60 degrees take your preboil gravity reading
My freezer usually chills my sample down to 60F just a few minutes before my 11.5 gallons starts to boil.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that next time.

I've been thinking of getting a refractometer, but they're no good post-fermentation because of the alcohol content, right? So I'd still need the hydrometer.....

Sorry, dyslexia is kicking in early this morning.

5 Gallons 1.078 OG @ 87F = 5 Gallons 1.082 OG @ 60F

Preboil would have been 6.1 Gallons (as you said) of 1.067 @ 60F

With these numbers I get:
Brewhouse Efficiency 87.68%
Boiler Efficiency 85.97%
Fermenter Efficiency 87.68%

As for refractometers, they work great pre-fermentation, and you can use a correction algorithm for post-fermentation.
http://brewhardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=72

Sorry, dyslexia is kicking in early this morning.

5 Gallons 1.078 OG @ 87F = 5 Gallons 1.082 OG @ 60F

Preboil would have been 6.1 Gallons (as you said) of 1.067 @ 60F

With these numbers I get:
Brewhouse Efficiency 87.68%
Boiler Efficiency 85.97%
Fermenter Efficiency 87.68%

As for refractometers, they work great pre-fermentation, and you can use a correction algorithm for post-fermentation.
http://brewhardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=72

Thanks for the calculation!

Back