Re-wire Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrain

Reaction score
I just got a new Analog Temperature Controller for Xmas to keep my fermentation box warm.

The vendor description is... "This thermostat, with a 5 foot extendable stainless steel sensor, is perfect for controlling the temperature of your freezer, refrigerator, air conditioner, or heater for Fermentation or lagering. Not affected or damaged by electrical grid surges and lightning strikes, or power outages - like a digital thermostats are! Easy to use, just plug it in, and plug the appliance you want to control into the back of the box."

The "or heater" is what I wanted, but it only works to cool things down. I could return it but would rather keep it if there is a way to reverse the function with a re-wire. There is a green, white, and black. Any ideas on how to reverse the function, or should I just send it back. Posting pics of the wires.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

I'd check with the vendor. I think you could wire that up with a season switch so you could go back and forth as needed with cooling/heating but I'd need to have it in hand to make that call for myself. Don't want to advise you to ruin it or electrocute yourself.

coldrain said:
I just got a new Analog Temperature Controller for Xmas to keep my fermentation box warm.

The vendor description is... "This thermostat, with a 5 foot extendable stainless steel sensor, is perfect for controlling the temperature of your freezer, refrigerator, air conditioner, or heater for Fermentation or lagering. Not affected or damaged by electrical grid surges and lightning strikes, or power outages - like a digital thermostats are! Easy to use, just plug it in, and plug the appliance you want to control into the back of the box."

The "or heater" is what I wanted, but it only works to cool things down. I could return it but would rather keep it if there is a way to reverse the function with a re-wire. There is a green, white, and black. Any ideas on how to reverse the function, or should I just send it back. Posting pics of the wires.

You can use an NC (normally closed) relay to power the heater when the temp controller is *not* providing power, and to cut off power to the heater when the temp controller *is* providing power.

Basically, just doing the opposite of what it's meant to do... a relay is just a switch that is controlled automatically with electricity - and in the case of an NC relay, electricity actually turns the switch "off".

Any ideas on how to reverse the function?
take the black wire and move it to the terminal on the other side of the white wire.

as it is right now- whatever it controlls is normally powered until the temperature goes up past a set point.
the above will change it to- whatever it controls is normally unpowered until the temperature goes up past a set point.

take the black wire and move it to the terminal on the other side of the white wire.[...]

You're definitely on to something, but after perusing the pics, I think P1 is the common contact, and the white wire should move from 2 to 1.

Cheers!

Back