Re-using dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I remember reading in a brewing book where the authors claimed that it's not good to re-use dry yeast. Is there anything to that? I've got a fresh yeast cake in my primary today and I'd like to just put a new batch right on top of it. I used Safale 56 (or whatever they're calling it now). The new batch is a very similar style to the one I just racked to the secondary.

i believe when they don't recommend rusing dry yeast they are refering to harvest and storage, not pitching on cake. go for it

I've heard that you don't want to use dry yeast beyond 2 or 3 generations from what is in the packet. I think there are some people around here that do wash and harvest dry yeast.

years ago, the yeast in dry packs wasn't as pure as it is now. and I'd still be a little suspect of the really cheap packets.

but stuff by Fermentis, Dan-Star, and other 'big' names like that...its some really clean/pure stuff anymore.

so pitch on a yeast cake for up to 3 generations...its a great way to step up to a barleywine.

most don't wash/harvest dry yeast cuz its just more hassle than the $2 a new packet costs. compared to $8 (or more) for a liquid strain, which can easily be 1/3 the cost of a batch of beer.

I've done four successive batches on one packet. Not to save money, but to take advantage of huge amounts of yeast. After the second batch, I'll scoop out a quart for the third.

Ditto on re-using Dry ... I repitched on a cake of Nottingham and got airlock activity in 4 hours ! I was stunned at the strength of the fermentation ... and was glad it did not flame out early .. helped get my winter warmer (1066) off to a great start .. in fact, after 6 weeks in the bottle, it was simply extraordinary ...

I did not re-use after that (figured the yeadties were exhausted !)

so go for it ..

I repitched onto a yeast cake from Edwort's Haus Pale Ale recipe (which ferments really quick) and it started rattling the airlock before I was done with cleanup. The trub took up more headspaced than I had allowed for, so I quickly rigged a blow off hose for that one. I have also scooped out maybe 8 oz. of trub kind of like David_42 posted, and that worked out well. Most of my batches are not back to back similar styles, so I don't do it that often.

I went ahead and did it. My yeast cake was from an Ahtanum IPA which used Safale US-05. I made a slightly modified EdWort's Haus Pale today and put it right on top. I started getting bubbles from my blow-off tube within 30 minutes. Four hours later it's going like gangbusters.

Really, in a six gallon Ale Pale, making a five gallon IPA from a yeast cake which made a five gallon IPA, I'll really need a blow-off tube? And for how long? The entire time in primary, or just a few days?

Thanks.

One of the main problems with re-using yeast (liquid or dry) is sanitation. Many people dont want to risk a whole batch of beer to find out they had an infection and didn't know about it when starting over is pretty cheap. If you are confident in your sanitation then yes, I would use dry yeast just like liquid yesat and use as many times as you feel comfortable. If you are concerned about sanitation, the $2 yeast pack is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Good luck!

Back