Re-Using a Yeast Cake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTownBrewer

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Barleywine in a month or so somewhat based on the Northern Brewer Lord Fatbottom kit. They suggest pitching on the yeast cake left over from an IPA or pale.

This Saturday, I'll be brewing up an IPA with an OG of 1.077. My plan is on the day I rack the IPA to my secondary, I'll brew the Barleywine which has an OG of 1.125. Then, pitch it on the IPA yeast cake & hook up a blowoff tube to the primary.

My questions are as follows...
- Would pitching the Barleywine on the IPA yeast cake get me to the 11-12% ABV I'm shooting for or are there any negatives you can think of that could result?
- Do I need to aerate the wort when pitching onto the yeast cake or should I leave it alone?

Since I have so much time & money invested in these two brews, I want to make sure it comes out well. Thanks for the help!

Airation is probably not that important since you have such a massive colony of yeast already.

One piece of advice: Don't use ALL of the yeast cake. I have used the entire yeast cake before and after the second beer, there is so much trub in the bottom that I lost a gallon of beer. Upon repeat, I dumped out all but about 1 pint of the yeast trub before adding the new wort. This beer took off like a rocket in less than 1 hour... done in 3 days.

Back