re-racking on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunblock

Reaction score
just did my first brew on top of a fresh cake of safebrew-05. man is it really rolling after only a few hours. How many times could I rack again on top of this same cake? On this second batch I am making a 4.5% IPA, but since its multiplied so much now I am thinking of using it again on the next (3rd) batch of a strong 7-8% IPA. I am guessing three times will be fine, but could I then still wash and save the yeast too? I am thinking it has not yet mutated since I haven't stressed it at all.

yes I know its just a dry yeast, but its a good one and I am a cheap-o so .... nothing wrong with free yeast ...

You can rerack on it serially many times... I did 5 this fall...BUT:

It was pointed out to me that it is super easy to sanitize a measuring cup, and scoop out the correct amount you need (mrmalty.com will help with that) and pitch it on your wort in a CLEAN fermenter. This is what I now do. Still cheap yeast.

I save slurry like this as well.

I have a batch that has been in a primary bucket for about 7 days. I am planning on racking it to a carboy and dumping a new batch onto the cake in the bucket. I've never done this before and I was wondering if I need to stir up the yeast or just pour it in and call it a day.

I have a batch that has been in a primary bucket for about 7 days. I am planning on racking it to a carboy and dumping a new batch onto the cake in the bucket. I've never done this before and I was wondering if I need to stir up the yeast or just pour it in and call it a day.

pouring it in will stir it up. no worries.

I've done it once with excellent results. I plan to do it again after this batch. I Think with alittle prep work would need to be done so you don't end up with similar beers. Like I mostly have dark beers in tap now.

I didn't mix it up

I've got a question about saving the yeast cake over night before I pitch. I have a steam beer going right now w/ wyeast 2112. Can I bottle the previous night and just keep the cake in bucket in my basement which is in low 50's now? Then bring back up to main part of house to get it back up in the 60's while I brew the next day? Also would you pitch onto cake or just take a couple of sterilized cupfuls out and dump that into fresh primary w/ wort?

Back