Re-pitching and O2 injection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
I am looking to brew some higher-alcohol beers. I have lots of brewing toys, but no O2 (yet).
I just about to bottle a Scottish 90 or wee heavy (1.058 OG). I pitched two smack packs to try to compensate for having poor oxygenation. -by poor, I mean I just poured the wort slowly from the kettle to the fermenter. I know that yeast doesn't always need O2, mostly in the growth phase. -can I overcome the lack of direct O2 injection by pitching onto the cake from my last beer, or am I still starting out with my yeasts at a disadvantage?

If your last beer was completely healthy and the yeast wasn't shocked I think you're ok. My last stout was 1.086 OG and I just shook the carboy for 5 minutes and pitched a proper dose of Notty. Sometimes I think too much is made of exact O2 dosage as I've never had a under dose of O2 that I could detect.

I pitch directly on the old cake all the time, but if the new one isn't a big beer I'll wash the yeast and do a smaller pitch.

Back