Re-hydrated yeast w/ room temp water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
So I just brewed a Lemon Summer Rye ale using extract and steeping grains and just realized a made a little mistake... I pitched the yeast after 15 minutes of rehydrating in water that was probably around 65 degrees or so.
I used DRY-97 American West Coast yeast. Following the instructions on the back of the packet I did everything right except use in the 86 - 92 degree range. Whoops!!
Will this have a negative effect in the beer??

One clarification from my post.. It was BRY-97. All of the German on yeast pack threw me off. Or at least that's my excuse!

The warm water wakes up the yeast and optimizes it for fermentation. At 65, you'll probably not get this benefit, but many people sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort and their beer turns out just fine.

Yeah I suppose you're right. What I did is probably no different than sprinkling the yeast directly on top of the cooled wort.

Yeah I suppose you're right. What I did is probably no different than sprinkling the yeast directly on top of the cooled wort.

No, what you did was very likely better than sprinkling dry. At least you gave those cells some opportunity to rebuild their membranes/walls before being tossed into the wort.

Thanks, that's good news! Checked this morning (18 hours after pitching) and there is already a good amount of bubbling in the airlock and a thin layer of krausen forming so everything seems to have worked out just fine

Back