Raw wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
so I’m planning on doing a Gose this next week that I’m off and have a bunch of red wheat from the family farm , I can’t seem to get it crushed and my blender isn’t doing it. How big of an efficiency hit would I take to use it whole and just give it a 90min mash ? Anyone here use in crushed raw wheat before ?

I would expect a dramatic decrease in extract. Like, closer to zero than 30-something gravity points per pound.
There's no way around it, an intact wheat berry isn't going to give up much starch...

Cheers!

if you are near a Walmart you can get a Corona style shipped to store pretty quickly and will work well for BIAB which you will likely want to do with much wheat in the recipe.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/COKO-Man...led-Nuts-Commercial-Home-Use-Silver/118653072

That’s awesome ! I’ll have to get one , I’m only a few min away from a Walmart , I’m not brewing for a week and a half so I have some time to order one ! I don’t brew in a bag but I have one to use as a filter in my mash tun when doing wheat beers ! Thanks for the idea !

Those cast iron hand mills are built for hard grains, but if you couldn't get one you could always boil the wheat until it softened, then use your blender.

Back