Rather than throwing all your spent grain in the trash, try making spent grain flour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
With Big Brew this weekend and a lot of us hopefully brewing something up, it's a perfect time to try making some spent grain flour.

Spent grain flour, when used as about 10% of the flour in your bread, pizza dough, cookies, etc, will give a huge boost of whole grain flavor.

As soon as I'm done mashing and while I'm waiting for my wort to come to a boil I put about 5-6 cups worth of spent grain on a baking sheet at about 1/4-1/2" deep and bake it at 225'F for a couple hours. Usually by the time I'm done cleaning up from my brew day the grain is also done.

I grind up the dried grain in a coffee grinder and store it in a sealable plastic container. If you've adequately dried the grain, the flour should last for a few months. If you don't want to grind it into a flour, you can also store the dried grain as-is and use it at about 5% of your total flour for your bread.

What I've been doing is making a loaf of bread with my spent grain flour and I'll bring it to my monthly homebrew club meeting with some honey, jam and butter. I've never left the meeting with any bread left haha.

I've got a full tutorial here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/04/24/how-to-make-spent-grain-flour/

I need to do this. So much going on during brew day though. Now I need to bake some sourdough!

Latest posts

Back