Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexhardy1

Reaction score
I am planning to start a 1 gallon batch of raspberry this weekend. Kroger has the berries frozen in 10 oz bags.

Would 1 bag be sufficient or would I be better to use 1.5 bags or 2?

Thanks
Rex

I am planning to start a 1 gallon batch of raspberry this weekend. Kroger has the berries frozen in 10 oz bags.

Would 1 bag be sufficient or would I be better to use 1.5 bags or 2?

Thanks
Rex
I would use @ least 2, more if you can.
I guess that depends on how strong you want the raspberry flavor to be. A lot of people (myself included), start out using 1-3 lbs of fruit/gallon of must. Over the last couple or years, I have started using 5-6 lbs of fruit/ gallon of must. I know, it seems like a lot, but, it has made a huge difference (for me and the people that drink my meads) in the quality & complexity of some really tasty drinks🥴🥴.
If this is your first batch, try 2 bags, 4 bags if you feel adventurous, 8 if you want the raspberry to pop,...1 lb of fruit will give of a faint raspberry flavor & a light red color. 3 lbs of fruit will be a lot more flavor & a deeper red.
I should note that I make my melomels (fruit meads) in food grade brew buckets & I use brew bags to keep the fruit in. It helps to keep the mess down & helps to reduce waste when racking.
If you're using a glass carboy, you'll have a tough time getting the fruit in there in a bag though, unless you're using a wide mouth fermenter.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎
For reference, this is what 6 lbs of fruit/ gallon of must looks like....
Strawberry/ Rhubarb/ Raspberry BOMM melomel.

Attachments

• 20220825_172326.jpg
    20220825_172326.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would use @ least 2, more if you can.
I guess that depends on how strong you want the raspberry flavor to be. A lot of people (myself included), start out using 1-3 lbs of fruit/gallon of must. Over the last couple or years, I have started using 5-6 lbs of fruit/ gallon of must. I know, it seems like a lot, but, it has made a huge difference (for me and the people that drink my meads) in the quality & complexity of some really tasty drinks🥴🥴.
If this is your first batch, try 2 bags, 4 bags if you feel adventurous, 8 if you want the raspberry to pop,...1 lb of fruit will give of a faint raspberry flavor & a light red color. 3 lbs of fruit will be a lot more flavor & a deeper red.
I should note that I make my melomels (fruit meads) in food grade brew buckets & I use brew bags to keep the fruit in. It helps to keep the mess down & helps to reduce waste when racking.
If you're using a glass carboy, you'll have a tough time getting the fruit in there in a bag though, unless you're using a wide mouth fermenter.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎
For reference, this is what 6 lbs of fruit/ gallon of must looks like....
Strawberry/ Rhubarb/ Raspberry BOMM melomel.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am leaning towards starting with 2 bags based on your suggestion. I do have a bag and a 2 gallon bucket so I don’t see why I would have trouble making it fit.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am leaning towards starting with 2 bags based on your suggestion. I do have a bag and a 2 gallon bucket so I don’t see why I would have trouble making it fit.
No problem if using a bucket. Just be sure punch down the fruit cap @ least 1X daily to keep it from molding.

Latest posts

Back