Raspberry Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transcendagain

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm new to brewing; just brewed my first batch after watching friends for years. I did an extract "porter" of sorts with some good hops, honey, and cinnamon. It tasted pretty good before I bottled it a couple days ago.

I'm at a pretty basic level right now. I'd like to do a honey amber extract brew with my next batch and would like to add some definite raspberry flavor. HOWEVER, I don't want to get too complex just yet.

Can anyone advise as to how to add some raspberry flavor in a relatively simple brew process? Please don't get too complex or tell me I'm stupid. Thanks.

Add it to the fermenter after about a week and a half. I never use extract. I always use between about 20 and 40 oz of frozen raspberries (unthawed). I never sanitize them either. There's always enough alcohol in the beer to protect it. :mug:

I added right before bottling. However, you should expect that you will be able to tell without a doubt that you used an extract. That's not bad. But it will taste like raspberry lollipop not raspberry fruit. Have fun!

I recently brewed a keg of cherry wheat using extract. It was pretty good, but as mentioned above, you could tell it was extract.

Raspberries have a VERY strong flavor, much stronger than cherry. You might want to look into using fruit, but extract is easier. You just pour it in the bottling bucket or keg.

I drank the keg of cherry wheat pretty fast, extract taste and all. My next batch will be made with cherries, instead of extract.

I have read doing this is well. Adding it when you add the priming sugar.

yep, because if you add it any sooner it will loose the flavor. In fact it will loose the flavor the longer it sits in the bottle as well, but in my experience it takes awhile before that begins to happen.

I've used whole fruit as well as extract and my friends all prefer the extract, plus with the extract you can add it to your personal liking. I personally like allot of fruit flavor and using whole fruits requires allot of fruit to get the same amount of flavor from a small bottle of extract.

Although my personal favorite is using a small amount of whole fruit as well as extract cause i like seeing little bits of fruit in the bottle when i pour the beer and it helps with a smoother aftertaste.

I personally like allot of fruit flavor

I like a lot of flavor as well, so how much extract do you recommend exactly to get to "a lot of flavor"? - Thanks, by the way -

There is a "fabled beer" in my memory that I'm trying to harken back to: They used to sell "Oregon Raspberry Wheat" in Atlanta, but shops quit selling it a while back.

Thanks to everybody for responding. I'm going to go with the addition of extract at priming/bottling. SO, any advice on exactly how much to add if I want to definitely taste it?

Latest posts

Back