Raspberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radamadar

Reaction score
So I was making an AG American Pale Ale last fall, and the results were pretty good... it disappeared pretty fast, which is usually a good measure. Interesting though... everyone said it had a subtle raspberry kind of flavor to it.

Any thoughts on which hops or combination of hops might drive that? Or perhaps it was esters from the fermentation process? The yeast was Wyeast Chico, run at 67-68 deg F. The hop bill was .25 oz Chinook + .25 oz Nugget for bittering, 1 oz Mt. Hood for flavor, 1 oz Cascade for aroma, and dry hopping with 2 oz of Cascade and .75 oz Willamette.

Would love to be able to replicate this at will!

Probably a citrus aroma from the cascades. Sometimes it provides a "grapefruit" aroma, but I wouldn't bat an eye if someone said it had a hint of raspberry.

I have used and enjoy willamette hops. I can see exactly why that hop would come through as raspberry. Its the fruit i thought of when i opened my 1st willamette bag.

Thanks... the combo of the cascade and willamette makes sense. The citrusy cascades and aromatic, floral willamette makes sense. Got a batch going now with a similar combination, so hoping I get similar characteristics.

Back