Rare Brewing Herbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorianderCortex

Reaction score
Hey all. I've recently taken an interesting in brewing with some very old ingredients such as heather, bog bean, bog myrtle, etc. but buying them has been really tough.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on those kinds of ingredients preferably without using up my whole brewing budget?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Where do you live? If they can grow in your area, harvesting them from the woods, harvesting them from someones front lawn, or planting them is probably the cheapest option. Heather is commonly planted as an ornamental. Bog mytle grows wild throughout western europe, and parts of the us. Bog bean is common in ponds/swamps in the US.

I actually just brewed a Gruit last month using Yarrow, Bog Myrtle, Juniper Berries and Marsh Rosemary. I ended up getting the Bog Myrtle from Brew Brothers (brewbrothers.biz)) as this is the only place I could find it. The other stuff I got all on amazon with prime.

I'm in the St Louis area. It looks like Brew Brothers don't ship to homes outside a small area. Is that correct?

Hmm, that's strange. I live in the Boston area and they still shipped to me. If you place the order I think they'll ship it out... I figure the worst that would happen is they give you your money back. I will say that I chose the least expensive shipping option and received it across the country two or three days later, so they're also pretty good with service.

I actually just came across this site as well: http://wildweeds.com

They seem to have a huge selection.

Wow! Thanks so much! Can't wait to try my hand at a Viking style Gotlandsdricka.

No problem! That's one I haven't tried brewing up yet... Although if I can find a good recipe I'll be having a much needed brew day this weekend!

Back