Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the dirt crop is going to be great this year! All my years growing up as a poor dirt farmer is finally paying off
20220501_081032.jpg

Can't come up with Jersey appropriate joke. Picture seems to have stemmed the flow of my creative juices.

i didn't get the humor and though it was out, until i blew it up to try to get the dealer name, and track the car down.....

edit: aren't chard reproduced...well with fapp?

Terms
  • staminate cones
  • ovulate cones
  • sporophylls
  • strobilus
  • microsporophylls
  • macrosporophylls
  • heterosporous
  • ovules
  • seeds
  • megasporangium
  • megaspore mother cell
  • megaspore
  • microsporangium
  • microspore mother cell
  • microspore
  • pollen grains

Last edited:
My wife and I attended our 50 year college reunion today. It was actually a combined reunion of the classes of ‘70, ‘71, and ‘72. The turnout was pretty small considering that each class probably had 250-300 grads; maybe 50 folks showed up. The evening meal was held in a really unique event facility. From the outside it looked like an ordinary, red metal, farm building, maybe 40’X80’. Inside, however, was a wonderfully weird assortment of Western decor/memorabilia, an extremely well stocked full bar, and a commercial kitchen. The food was excellent (prime rib with several sides and salads and dessert) and, combined with the unconventional setting, made for an enjoyable evening.

In the second pic, I’m the guy with his elbows on the table; my wife and her college roommate have their backs to the camera.

20DE1C68-8E30-4D09-8FAB-6B6264B8520C.jpeg
EED25041-BE73-4223-B857-DDA75FC5A6A5.jpeg
3ECD8ACE-DA08-4865-AE7E-121D49F21DD3.jpeg
75EEE18C-BE5B-4E70-9651-8D3E5EAD1A1F.jpeg

There are places where gravel roads intersect paved highways. Sometimes, vehicles entering the highway move some of the gravel onto the pavement. Sometimes, a truck will drive over some of the gravel and toss it into the air. Sometimes, your vehicle happens to be the one following the truck.
22137347-9EC5-4F33-B317-B5CB022DDA8F.jpeg

Happened about 40 miles north of Billings while going back to the farm. Went back to the city and spent the rest of the day waiting for a new windshield to be installed. It’s convenient to have a daughter who works at an auto dealership when you need something fixed on short notice. Will venture north again in the morning.

^
I think I seen another approach where you dont fill the bucket up with soil right away and keep adding soil to get more potatoes.

Seen people growing them inside a bag of potting soil too.

you can grow potatoes in buckets and get a practical yield

Apparently the large the bucket the better, and planting 3 seed potatoes per 5-6gal bucket is better than 4, and a friend used one of them Rubbermaid "totes" I think they're ~30 gallon and did "ok". I did it more as a hobby, and with 3 buckets, 3 seed potatoes ea, got about 6lbs yukon gold last year.
1652533762233.png

And used them in a salmon nicoise
1652533851024.png

Wait - you can grow potatoes in buckets and get a practical yield? I'm intrigued :)

Cheers!

Apparently the higher soil temps of container growing favor more top growth than potatoes. I used to grow them in 25 gallon tree pots, and the harvest was easy and the potatoes good, but yield not what one would get growing in ground.

But those nursery pots are black, the fact that balrog uses white containers may help yield by keeping soil temps down. Sinking pots in ground would likley help too, but that adds to work load unless one has a digging machine.

Less nitrogen and more potassium and phosphate encourages better tuber growth and less foliage. But containers will still limit the yield somewhat unless they are large. 5 gallon buckets are cramped, but you can still get a decent yield if you plant smaller varieties, like reds. Russets need lots more room. And the heat factor on the pots and soil does impact it.

Apparently the higher soil temps of container growing favor more top growth than potatoes. I used to grow them in 25 gallon tree pots, and the harvest was easy and the potatoes good, but yield not what one would get growing in ground.

But those nursery pots are black, the fact that balrog uses white containers may help yield by keeping soil temps down. Sinking pots in ground would likley help too, but that adds to work load unless one has a digging machine.

Less nitrogen and more potassium and phosphate encourages better tuber growth and less foliage. But containers will still limit the yield somewhat unless they are large. 5 gallon buckets are cramped, but you can still get a decent yield if you plant smaller varieties, like reds. Russets need lots more room. And the heat factor on the pots and soil does impact it.

As Inigo would say, there is too much, let me sum up, if I have this correctly:
I can bury my buckets to encourage better temp?
It sounds like I should severely limit plants per bucket?
I can encourage tuber growth with potassium and phosphate (bone meal)?

Trying to stay on topic here:
1652727070316.png

Back