Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 97 Fender California Stratocaster was carved in Corona, California, shipped to Baja California, MX for painting (to avoid US environmental laws), then shipped back to the US to be assembled.

price point was between a Mexican Strat & American Strat.

I rewired the electronics, improved the shielding, replaced the neck & bridge single coils with mini humbuckers (JB Jr in bridge, Lil '59 in neck) & replaced the boring white pickguard with a hand-painted one

3/4 stack for size reference (bottom cab is 2x12)

1026.jpg

View attachment 680504
USA product and they ship it to Mexico to pack and bring it back

Speaking of "wood"...

Spent much of the last two days shortening stumps left from the two dozen trees we had taken down last fall, in preparation for the grinder. As they charge based on diameter * height and there's nothing I can do about diameter per se I attacked the height with my trusty 20" chain saw and a pair of freshly sharpened chains. I managed to take all of them down considerably, some more than others due to lie or risk of hitting rocks. When you look at the cross sections on some these the rock entrapment and even entrainment potential evident so I had to dig out and wash out a lot of stuff from in and around all that before risking an immediate sharpening cycle.

big_four.jpg

There are another dozen almost that size, the rest ranged from there down to ~30" or so.
Calling the grinder folks Tuesday to see how bad it's still gonna be...

Cheers!

Speaking of "wood"...

Spent much of the last two days shortening stumps left from the two dozen trees we had taken down last fall, in preparation for the grinder. As they charge based on diameter * height and there's nothing I can do about diameter per se I attacked the height with my trusty 20" chain saw and a pair of freshly sharpened chains. I managed to take all of them down considerably, some more than others due to lie or risk of hitting rocks. When you look at the cross sections on some these the rock entrapment and even entrainment potential evident so I had to dig out and wash out a lot of stuff from in and around all that before risking an immediate sharpening cycle.

View attachment 681995

There are another dozen almost that size, the rest ranged from there down to ~30" or so.

Cheers!
If you want to experiment with things on your own, if you sprinkle the stumps with fertilizer, then a little soil, they will eventually break down. Eventually=years, so if you are anxious to take care of things immediately then spend the $ for a stump grinder. I actually planted some flowers on top of an Elm stump a couple years and it rotted away in about 5 years.

If those are cedar stumps like I think you could plant huckleberries in them. For some reason most of the cedar stumps on trails out here have huckleberries growing out of them.

Those stumps would remind one of cedar, but they were all old maples. Most of the 24 were 90-100' pines, a couple of dying elms and a handful of maples.
Most of the stumps are surrounded by what passes as "lawn" so I want those under enough soil to fill in the grass., but about a third of them are now low enough they'll be buried when we regrade that section of the property...

Cheers!

Speaking of "wood"...

View attachment 681995

Cheers!
I used to have a neighbor who made some pretty cool clocks and coffee tables out of stumps like those.

I have seen tables made from cuttings like those, but I have no idea how they manage to cure something that broad without crazy radial cracking when the heartwood dries out. I may not have noticed ample amounts of filler :)

Cheers!

...I have no idea how they manage to cure something that broad without crazy radial cracking when the heartwood dries....

One way is to soak it in a polyethylene glycol solution, preferably with some mild heat, which stabilizes the wood.

Interesting. Hardwoods only? And what temperature would "mild" entail? Because if it's more than what the summer sun can generate it ain't gonna happen - these things dwarf all but industrial ovens I'm sure :D
I still remember the hell I went through finding someone to bake the high temp paint on my single tier rig without them confiscating my first born child...

Cheers!

It was probably 25 years ago when I first read a research paper about it, so I don't remember the exact temp. I think they were just using heating bands around the tank, so it was not high temp at all.

These days you can buy stabilizing solutions at places like Rockler or Woodcraft, or just roll your own. A google search for polyethylene glycol wood stabilizer will turn up some results.

I see you captured the desert bigfoot on the first pic in the top right corner that looks like it is steping over or onto a rock! Good job!!!
There is one up in NW Phoenix area that always reminded me of a dancing cowboy. It's lowest branch is turned down, and looks like a raised leg. I might head down to the Saguaro NP West tomorrow, and see what's going on there.

There is one up in NW Phoenix area that always reminded me of a dancing cowboy. It's lowest branch is turned down, and looks like a raised leg. I might head down to the Saguaro NP West tomorrow, and see what's going on there.

I bet you will get some awesome pics!

Latest posts

Back