Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1589154283301.png

It means our friend has been hanging a freakin' big jet engine on an old jumbo freighter. Pretty cool!
I rode on a lot of DC10s in their passenger-carrying heydays. Preferred the L1011, actually, but it was a smooth riding bird...

Cheers!

It means our friend has been hanging a freakin' big jet engine on an old jumbo freighter. Pretty cool!
I rode on a lot of DC10s in their passenger-carrying heydays. Preferred the L1011, actually, but it was a smooth riding bird...

Cheers!
I remember flying on those... and lots of other extinct birds... and they had smoking sections... damn I feel antiquated...

That seems about right - they stopped building them in 1988, and Northwest retired the last passenger version still in scheduled service for US airlines in 2007...

Cheers!

That seems about right - they stopped building them in 1988, and Northwest retired the last passenger version still in scheduled service for US airlines in 2007...

Cheers!
Yeah, in this case, I'm working for Omega, an Irish company that converts them to aerial tankers, then flies them on contract for the USN. Working on getting an AF contract now.

Also did a lot of work for ATA, now bankrupt, who used them to fly servicemen overseas. They went bellyup about 2010, and the aircraft went to World Airlines, but I don't think they're flying any now, having switched to MD11's, which is just an updated DC10. Used to build MD11 fuselage sections for General Dynamics in San Diego.

Oddly enough, I've worked on DC10's for the last 20 years, but I've never flown on one. Taxi and engine runs, but always firmly on the ground.
I have only flown on one DC 10, it was British Airways named Epping Forest, it was later written off due to running off of the runway in Bogota MC DONNELL - DOUGLAS DC - 10

Yeah, in this case, I'm working for Omega, an Irish company that converts them to aerial tankers, then flies them on contract for the USN. Working on getting an AF contract now.

Aerial tankers - as in in-air refuelers? (does the USA actually sub-contract that out now?? :eek:)
Or fire-bombers? (Very cool but wicked tough on airframes as has been seen).
Or milk trucks with wings? ("And now, for something completely different!" :D)

Cheers!

Aerial tankers - as in in-air refuelers? (does the USA actually sub-contract that out now?? :eek:)
Or fire-bombers? (Very cool but wicked tough on airframes as has been seen).
Or milk trucks with wings? ("And now, for something completely different!" :D)

Cheers!
Yep. As in aerial refueling.
I've also worked on converting 747's and MD80's to fire bombers, but never any aerial milk trucks!

Last edited:
Charles Bukowski
Russian immigrant I think, poet, wrote some really dark prose with a twist.
From memory?
what a man I was
they slipped the noose around my neck
I swung out wide, spit in the bartenders eye
and stared down nelly adams breasts one last time

Eric

This violates George Carlin’s rule that the best comedy is universal. But, it’s a way to find out how many aeronautically knowledgeable folks are here-

“How to tell if someone owns, or works on, a Cessna”

View attachment 680490
Took me a while. I learned on Cessnas, and been there, done that.

Brew on :mug:

View attachment 680504
USA product and they ship it to Mexico to pack and bring it back
That's pretty crazy! On a related note, my dad helped build a couple of packing plants in Indio, presumably so this exact thing wouldn't happen. I also wonder if there is any testing done to prove if the dates sent down are the same dates sent back. The whole deal sounds shady...

This violates George Carlin’s rule that the best comedy is universal. But, it’s a way to find out how many aeronautically knowledgeable folks are here-

“How to tell if someone owns, or works on, a Cessna”

View attachment 680490
You just need to work on bigger airplanes!
IMG_20200515_121456026_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200515_115907384_HDR.jpg

Engine runs today on #3 engine.

Back