Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F1B17CE6-CC6F-4B3B-8CAC-418E64785F50.jpeg

Who's old enough to remember when cars had bench seats and seatbelts were a new thing?View attachment 632006

“What are these daddy?”

”some new fangle thing to take more of my hard earned money son. Now push those under the seat, so they won’t fly around and hurt someone if we have an accident!”

“What are these daddy?”

”some new fangle thing to take more of my hard earned money son. Now push those under the seat, so they won’t fly around and hurt someone if we have an accident!”
My father and grandfather had both driven wreckers in the past. You bet your a$$ we used our seat belts! Grandparent's '67 Fairlane wagon was the first one I recall so equipped. Nice car.

I learned to drive in my dad's 64 IHC Scout. I loved it, but, looking back, it was a deathtrap on wheels. Tiny drum brakes with a single master cylinder, ridgid steering column aimed right at your heart. All steel interior, no padding except the bench seat. No seat belts of course. Fortunately, it couldn't go fast enough to get in very much trouble.

I miss the old cars, but I'll never fool myself that they were 'better'.

I learned to drive in my dad's 64 IHC Scout. I loved it, but, looking back, it was a deathtrap on wheels. Tiny drum brakes with a single master cylinder, ridgid steering column aimed right at your heart. All steel interior, no padding except the bench seat. No seat belts of course. Fortunately, it couldn't go fast enough to get in very much trouble.

I miss the old cars, but I'll never fool myself that they were 'better'.
I learned to drive in the same car! It was built like a tank. My mom hit some black ice and lost control once, and completely wiped out the stop sign. There wasn't even a mark on the car.

I learned to drive in the same car! It was built like a tank. My mom hit some black ice and lost control once, and completely wiped out the stop sign. There wasn't even a mark on the car.
Did you ever take the top off and fold down the windshield? My friends dubbed it the 'Flying Blue Bathtub'. Dad was, uh, not pleased.

Did you ever take the top off and fold down the windshield? My friends dubbed it the 'Flying Blue Bathtub'. Dad was, uh, not pleased.
We had #2. The only thing I can remember taking off was a door. I can't remember why, just how insanely heavy it was.

Ours was a bit of a pain to keep it going straight though, with about 30 degrees of play in the wheel so it was more like herding. If I was drifting right I'd give it a bump left then return to middle and wait to see which way it drifted for another bump.

Years later, I was asked to see if I could sell a 1981 Scout prototype - 1 of only 3 made. The owner wanted $150,000 and the biggest offer I could get him was $100,000. He wouldn't part with it for that.
1293022880005422184.jpg

Last edited:
We had #2. The only thing I can remember taking off was a door. I can't remember why, just how insanely heavy it was.

Ours was a bit of a pain to keep it going straight though, with about 30 degrees of play in the wheel so it was more like herding. If I was drifting right I'd give it a bump left then return to middle and wait to see which way it drifted for another bump.

Years later, I was asked to see if I could sell a 1981 Scout prototype - 1 of only 3 made. I never could get close to what the owner wanted though.
1293022880005422184.jpg
I'd forgotten about the ... imprecise ... steering. The Scout used a worm screw steering box that wore really quickly. You could tighten it up, but it just wore some more. The Scout II used a GM Saginaw box, usually power. Much better.

A few years ago I sold off all 21 of my Internationals. Just couldn't handle the physical effort restoring and maintaining them took. It's like working on locomotives. I still miss them. I'll stop talking about Internationals now.

Dad took all four kids to school in IH Scout in the late 60s/early 70s, with homemade built in middle seat between the front buckets for my little sister. We had the top off and windshield down a couple times. Old vacuum wipers, PITA hop out and try to switch the 4WD hubs, rolling fwd/bkwd to get them to go.

Ah the memories.

But we had seatbelts.

Dad took all four kids to school in IH Scout in the late 60s/early 70s, with homemade built in middle seat between the front buckets for my little sister. We had the top off and windshield down a couple times. Old vacuum wipers, PITA hop out and try to switch the 4WD hubs, rolling fwd/bkwd to get them to go.

Ah the memories.

But we had seatbelts.
Never had any trouble with hubs, they used several different versions, evidently I always got the good ones. But, oh, those miserable vacuum wipers!

A few years ago I sold off all 21 of my Internationals. Just couldn't handle the physical effort restoring and maintaining them took. It's like working on locomotives. I still miss them. I'll stop talking about Internationals now.
Mom and Dad moved to Santa Cruz from Lincoln in an International. Later while driving on HWY9, the broken door just opened up. Luckily the window was down, something to hold onto. F-Up the feet pretty bad but recovered. I was 6. Needless to say I had no seatbelt on. That truck had history. Years later in South Lake Tahoe mom put sugar in the gas tank and spread grape jelly all over the front seat for dad. [emoji6]

Latest posts

Back