Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our hearts are with our shipmates onboard USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78)

heading to the eastern Med into a conflict zone...

and having to eat this.

my gods, what did that cow do to deserve that fate?

1698057292095.png

That's where this comes in handy!
I have a JD 2025R with front loader and backhoe, but the road is too narrow to make use of it this time. Believe me I definitely tried to find a way, but the image doesn't capture how steep that road is, and how I'd have had to back up over 100 yards around two tight corners (that have a 30' or higher drop-off) in order to empty each front loader scoop.

1698092781609.png

Here's an image from when I cleared this same area in the Spring using the tractor. Since the deposit was smaller I was able to take it all down the slope to a switchback

1698093371488.png

If I move much further out from the bank it's all soft dirt, so there's little support for even the tractor itself without a load in the front loader

Last edited:
Had a small hillside collapse a couple weeks back, and spent 4-1/2 hours spread over Sat/Sun hand digging the loose dirt to reclaim my lower yard access road. Total volume removed one shovel at a time was 6"-18" deep by 6'-10' wide by ~130' long

View attachment 832243

I'm still a bit sore

Given the sunny location, I'm thinking that the planting of fast growing vegetation should help with further issues.

Hops.

I'm talking about hops.

View attachment 832322
Got a new telescope a few weeks ago, so naturally we've had 2 weeks of continual cloud and rain. Got a small window of opportunity Sunday night to play with it, and got some nice views of the moon and Saturn.
What scope did you get? I'm currently just using a 5 inch newtonian on a manual equatorial mount that I got for my daughter, we both share the hobby and I'm looking to upgrade for her bday. Nice pics btw.

What scope did you get? I'm currently just using a 5 inch newtonian on a manual equatorial mount that I got for my daughter, we both share the hobby and I'm looking to upgrade for her bday. Nice pics btw.
Its a celestron 130SLT, which is a 5 inch Newtonian. Computerized mount mind you, although we didn't have enough cloud-free time last night to try that out, so this was all manual alignment. Photo's were just through the eyepiece using my cell phone.

Tried to get Saturn last night. Looking through the scope it was a nice crisp image, this is best I could do with my phone.

Screenshot_20231025-123742_Gallery.jpg

Then the moon again

20231024_214547.jpg

Then this morning, tried to get venus in there but its barely noticeable. It's a speck of light up and to the left of the group of trees on the right of the second photo.
20231025_071618.jpg

20231025_065337.jpg

Spring and Fall (AKA “Still Winter and Almost Winter”) are the shortest seasons in this part of the world. This year we had just over a month between Summer and Winter, which is longer than the interval in many years. Last year, Fall was on a Thursday. 😎

Anyway, once again, we have snow before Halloween.

B10DAF3A-B38F-4D9A-BBE9-8D164DC0BD0A.jpeg

Spring and Fall (AKA “Still Winter and Almost Winter”) are the shortest seasons in this part of the world. This year we had just over a month between Summer and Winter, which is longer than the interval in many years. Last year, Fall was on a Thursday.
My grandparents lived in Syracuse, back when they really got a lot of snow. They always said they looked forward to summer and hoped it would fall on a weekend.

Here in cattle country more than a few ranchers have started feeding, finishing, and processing some of their own calves instead of selling them to the commercial feeders and packers from which they’ll end up as shoe leather “steaks” at Applebee’s. We buy meat from several such small processors, so I’m pretty sure this is legit-
D99883FA-17FF-4082-AE05-F3944F8FEE75.jpeg

Latest posts

Back