Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warp drive.

just down the road from us. near the mall

HQ for Orbital used to be on this road, now it's a division of Northrup Grumman

don't take that exit with it engaged, it's a sharp right turn into a traffic circle.

Grog's Useless Trivia™: pedestrian bridge is the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, a 45 mile long hiking/biking trail thru Loudoun & Fairfax Counties.

Grog's Bonus Useless Trivia™: this part of VA State Road 28 is known as Darrell Green Blvd & you can see the Commandos (spit!) HQ from here

617.jpg

Last edited:
first tree down the river this Fall. first of many, many to come and on the small side for what will pass by during high water in March/April

View attachment 833357
Trees and rivers are such an odd concept for me. Normally the Gila River "nearby" is a foot deep so trees don't float. But in the summer of 2022 strong monsoons brought 4 times our usual rain so some pretty big trees did get washed downstream.

FB_IMG_1699450806256.jpg

When we left our town in France the river was dangerously low, barely even enough water to operate the nuclear power plant just downstream. Now there's flooding in the streets with another 10 days of rain expected. Our house is on top of a ridge 200' above the river, but my wife is heading there after Thanksgiving. Hopefully the roads will be passable, they were not back in 2016 when even the railroads were shut down.
The bridge was built by Eiffel, long before he started building towers.

Is that sign on an actual flooded road? 🤔
"inondable" looked like it could have been an obscure English word rather than French.

Cheers!
This road floods once the river hits the top of the banks, but before water gets into legit downtown. So it is a low spot but it's probably 30 feet above the normal level of the river.
The word is from the same root as our word "inundation", inundare-"to overflow".
The Vienne River drains a huge area of central France, to the east and south-it's one of the rare rivers that actually flows north for much of it's length.

Is that sign on an actual flooded road? 🤔
"inondable" looked like it could have been an obscure English word rather than French.

Cheers!
To be fair English is a mish-mash language with mostly West-Germanic roots, some influence from the original Celtic languages of the native Brits and a lot of Anglified French loan words...

carrying on the theme, somewhere other than the dedicated MEME thread

you can add the heir apparent & his brood. plus Depp/TurdHeard

& pretty much every other celebrity couple, with the exception of Meghan Mullaly & Nick Offerman.

the BigHair: "aww... **insert annoying celebrity couple** broke up

me: "who are these people & why should I give a rodent's rectum about them or their relationship?"

against my will.jpg

Last edited:
Public Service Announcement time, boys and girls.

Ya know when you make a hoppy pale, and it's nice, and after the second pour something clogs the works, but it still flows? And you turn up the gas and it makes no difference? And you "burp" the liquid out side with CO2, and it doesn't fix it, but you hate Hate HATE opening the keg on a hoppy pale so you put up with 38 some odd pours that are 37seconds which is not too bad?

And then, THEN, you kick the keg and put it on the Mark II keg washer, and after that it flows GREAT, and think to yourself, "Well, now, WELL, **THAT** should take care of it!" But you ponder and stew and fret and ruminate and look up things on the internet like, was that Sarah Paulson with Jamie Lee Curtis on an episode of "Bear"?

And you finally OCD into a tiz and grab the socket and...
1699913451961.png

Oh yeah. Clean your poppets boys and girls.
Clean 'em.

Public Service Announcement time, boys and girls.

Ya know when you make a hoppy pale, and it's nice, and after the second pour something clogs the works, but it still flows? And you turn up the gas and it makes no difference? And you "burp" the liquid out side with CO2, and it doesn't fix it, but you hate Hate HATE opening the keg on a hoppy pale so you put up with 38 some odd pours that are 37seconds which is not too bad?

And then, THEN, you kick the keg and put it on the Mark II keg washer, and after that it flows GREAT, and think to yourself, "Well, now, WELL, **THAT** should take care of it!" But you ponder and stew and fret and ruminate and look up things on the internet like, was that Sarah Paulson with Jamie Lee Curtis on an episode of "Bear"?

And you finally OCD into a tiz and grab the socket and...
View attachment 833840

Oh yeah. Clean your poppets boys and girls.
Clean 'em.
I always remove the posts and clean all the pieces every time I clean a keg. It's not that hard to do.

Brew on :mug:

I always remove the posts and clean all the pieces every time I clean a keg. It's not that hard to do.

I respect folks that take that extra effort. It's probably for the best 👍

That allowed, I stopped routinely breaking down kegs between batches many years ago. I do a hot water flush in my brew sink with the lid removed, stick 'em on my Mark II with the hottest tap water I can muster with two tablespoons of PBW for five minutes, then rinse with the same hot water for a couple of minutes, then add a few ounces of Star San, lube all the external O-rings, seal 'em up, and hit 'em with ~20 psi from my compressor to check the poppets for leaks. If they get that far they move to the "ready" area for their next batch.

I've never had an evident infection...

Cheers!

Back