random experimental brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
About a month ago I tried to overstep my capabilities and brew a huge RIS...long story short, my mash tun couldn't handle the poundage and ended up with the worlds worst stuck sparge...could only manage about 1 gallon of runnings. I was SOOOO disgusted with myself...but somehow managed to be smart enough to put those runnings in a sanitized container and put it in the fridge...thought maybe I could dilute it and use for yeast starters.

Today I decided to get out that gallon of wort, add two more gallons and do a mini stovetop batch...I have a 3 gallon carboy that I barely ever use...why not experiment, this container of wort was nothing but a ruined brewday trophy. OG is gonna be significantly lower obviously, but not all that worried about it.

So I cut the hop schedule from the original brew in half...and I'm gonna use a built up starter of an Ommegang yeast that I cultured from a bottle a couple weeks ago and built up pretty good. I got another starter going Thursday for it...so it should be good to go by the time I'm done brewing this afternoon.

We'll see...it'll probably be junk...but I'm excited :D A Belgian RIS Light??

Note: when I finally got the lid off the container, my nostrils were hammered with the strongest molasses smell I've ever encountered...which just made me think about how great that original brew could hae been...oh well.

yeast didn't take...pitch another jar of washed WLP001...or wait until Monday for a store bought vial?

Back