Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mowing lawn is actually not that good of an activity visa vi drinking beer.

OK, maybe good time for some, but remember, you've got rotating blades.

Last edited:
I made beer today instead of mowing the yard. Hopefully the weather is good enough I can mow tomorrow after work and enjoy a homebrewed wit beer afterwards.

I made beer AND mowed the lawn. And drank a LOT of beer during it, and I still have all my limbs. And listened to my neighbor flip me good-natured crap about my Gov Inslee-approved battery-operated mower, but the thing does the job and I don't have to mix gas and oil. Or worry about running over a cord. Husband will be slightly annoyed when he gets home from golf trip to find I already did it, but I don't care. I earned LOTS of marriage cred this weekend. Oh look, beer!

Either the Illuminati controlling the weather hate my city specifically, or have the steering skills of a Canadian truck driver trying to cross the Coquihalla Highway in winter.

Stop missing us with the heavy rains and hitting Durban instead. They've had enough water.

damn, anyone else have to pause when they pour a beer....because they see what looks a male fly ridding a female fly's ass, and bouncing around, like it's exuburant sex...slowly figuring out how to stop this prodgeny from ever being born! i think i got them though....unfortanly that means their kids will never grow up ....

(and i swear they were going at it for like 20-30 seconds, maybe a minute! who woulda thought!

My riding mower has a cup holder…. It must be for a beer, right? 😉
my early 80's Craftsman riding mower has a cigarette lighter ... installed by the original owner, my late father in law ... an electrician who did not smoke.

(I guess it just looked like it needed one ... Respect to all those old time electricians out there.)

Last edited:
Welp. I can honestly say that Never Have I Ever seen two flies going at it, while pouring a beer or otherwise.

i hope you never do...it's kinda like their thingy gets stuck then the girl fly gets 'like' a pinch and reflexivly starts realing back...and the guy just like riding a bull, trying to hang on for a bit.. if you ever see this behavior terminate immediately! unlike the urban myth they only live a day, they actually live about a month or so!

i hope you never do...it's kinda like their thingy gets stuck then the girl fly gets 'like' a pinch and reflexivly starts realing back...and the guy just like riding a bull, trying to hang on for a bit.. if you ever see this behavior terminate immediately! unlike the urban myth they only live a day, they actually live about a month or so!
That's an awful lot of detail. Did you put this pair under a microscope?

Brew on :mug:

Bodice ripper for musca domestica

Just wondering, random drunken informal poll:

1. Would you rather retire than have no work at all? ;} actually that makes no sense, but somehow amuses me,,,

2. If one had a good business but was burnt out on it, would you keep one going?

2A, If the only other option was to work for some other idiot probably less competent than self for less money?

3. Move to some place where one knows no you, but has more land? Actually that sounds good, but then again, if one has lived and worked somewhere and has built up a network of friends, other trades people, even customers, that respect you as member of community,,,might be more than one would want to give up. Also likely, I suppose, to be the thing that was given up not missed until gone.

3B, At some point, it seems to me, age makes moving to new area/life at all is beyond ones capacity. Not a question, but something to consider.

Anyway, there is a random and admittedly drunken thought.

1) i'd love a WORKING retirement! work for the pure joy of it!

2) isn't that a sign to take a vacation? good solid month lounge around doing nothing but drinking beer in your underpants for a month!
2A) hmmm....

3) 🤔

Hard pass on anything even resembling a "job" now. I retired in March 2019 (great timing, right?) after 47 years designing computers 'n' stuff, at 70 yo with the expectation that I was good and truly done. I can't think of anything that would move me off that perch :)

Cheers!

1), 2) & 2A) Recent events seem to be revealing lots of Life Is Too Short moments. Kind of a "not how many breaths but how many moments take your breath away" thing. Really hard to justify working for idiot. Mental/emotional stress is no joke.
3) Social animals, such as humans, live longer in social environments. Disease aside, longevity is enhanced when you keep up BOTH physical and social activities. Like getting together to play tennis, or make beer.
3B) Moving is just, ugh.

BIL just sent some funny about Siri talking back. My synapses immediately replied with something, that in retrospect seems too chillingly prescient:

We will pass "dependent on” tech to "controlled by", faster than you can say SkyNet.

[Edit: chillingly. National bring back the adverb week]

Last edited:
1) i'd love a WORKING retirement! work for the pure joy of it!

2) isn't that a sign to take a vacation? good solid month lounge around doing nothing but drinking beer in your underpants for a month!
2A) hmmm....

3) 🤔

1) Hate to break it to you bracco, but you can never retire if you've never worked.

2) My very limited experience with vacations is one has to get everything together, go somewhere with a marginally tolerable travel experience, and yeah, when you get back, you get to do all the work that needed to be done when gone. Kinda spendy too. Genuine travel & that sort of real vacate is cool, but not in my sights right now.

Never did consider 2A) for myself so I guess it was a BS question.

What was 3) again?

1) Hate to break it to you bracco, but you can never retire if you've never worked.
is that a cold or hot break? ;)
My very limited experience with vacations

well my experience with vacations, from work!:pis i'd tell managment to schedule me a month off, and i'd blow about $2k on new toys and just lounge around the house with them...WAY better and longer lasting then some stupid trip some place...In fact i'm enjoying one of my vacations still, right now with my 160" projection screen! that was back in i think 2010...think i upgraded my computer too to play Battlefield 2 or 3 for a month in my underwear drinking homebrew the whole time....Ahhhh :mug:

Last edited:
You on govt disability or something?

and i've busted my ass trying to convince people i'm not as stupid as i sound!!! all they do is pat me on the head and tell me, " awww, how cute"

which means i've been a slot tech, upgraded to 'slot master', run excavaters...washed dishes, shoveled gravel last week, or week before....

m'f'er i put in volenteer app with the city and got turned down for it, if you can believe that! i've tried picking up trash around the neighborhood, people noticed so treated me like crap aparently, and started dumping old car tires, and refrigerator boxs on the side of the road....

i assure you, i'm a rare personality type that actually enjoys working...i'm being punished for some reason i'm not sure of with a weird form of country club prison.....which strangley is half the price of if i was in actual prison....

unfortanaly still just as boring....which is why i end up spending all my time here...

I had no idea;,,,

i loved 'the prisoner' when i was a kid! not so much in reality as an adult....

i mean seriously, i offered to drop the $3-5k on a towable back hoe to make the shoveling gravel easy, and my boss told me...whoa now lass, i'm trying to slow down....i was just silently crying inside.....

just know i'm not the piece of crap you think i am.... (and yes i think playing with a cool back hoe remembering what a PITA 'shoveling' gravel would be a hell of a lot of fun, and probably keep me smiling for at least 4-5 years....)

But oh no!

here's you and me....

2) My very limited experience with vacations is one has to get everything together, go somewhere with a marginally tolerable travel experience, and yeah, when you get back, you get to do all the work that needed to be done when gone. Kinda spendy too. Genuine travel & that sort of real vacate is cool, but not in my sights right now.

Same here man, I work in an industry that the work doesn't go away unless you get it done so vacations just set me back. Plus with three kids a vacation is more work than my actual job! Still I really remember our vacations really fondly and I know I need another one but can't afford it right now, I've burnt out and healed a couple of times now because the company I'm with is too good to leave and they forgive my for being a crabby c**t every now and again.

You have piqued my curiosity sir, what kind of backhoe does $3-5K buy these days?

i mean seriously, i offered to drop the $3-5k on a towable back hoe to make the shoveling gravel easy, and my boss told me...whoa now lass, i'm trying to slow down....i was just silently crying inside.....

Long ago, I did spend less than $2K for a backhoe attachment, exactly like in video below, was in package deal with a Bobcat 732 skid steer. The attachment even had the same rust patina as in video, and matched the tractor that way. Had to replace all the hoses and rebuild the spool when I first got it.

But got to love those pre joystick rigs, since the first backhoe I ran was a 70's Case CK, was not a problem for me.

I guess the above sentence is similar to the computer dudes reminiscing about BASIC, or that movie, Tron, or something.

And for that I apologize.

https://www.jansenusa.com/product/t...jnmVxMjrLuy_BaCuMPdUU8fmpbeFsJjhoCjXYQAvD_BwE
and at harbor frieght

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-hp-...MZkQhIFLOtLkKOh-4wN_VBxuT3TlfQkhoCa2IQAvD_BwE
perfect for filling wheel barows of gravel, and spreading around a yard i'd think, unfornatly not highway safe, but just would need a trailer....

just know when you think of me, i do feel like a piece of ****....but i don't like it, and not happy about... and living on the mexican border, it's hot, but i swear there's snow all the time....

https://www.jansenusa.com/product/t...jnmVxMjrLuy_BaCuMPdUU8fmpbeFsJjhoCjXYQAvD_BwE
and at harbor frieght

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-hp-...MZkQhIFLOtLkKOh-4wN_VBxuT3TlfQkhoCa2IQAvD_BwE
perfect for filling wheel barows of gravel, and spreading around a yard i'd think, unfornatly not highway safe, but just would need a trailer....

just know when you think of me, i do feel like a piece of ****....but i don't like it, and not happy about... and living on the mexican border, it's hot, but i swear there's snow all the time....

Looks like a nice work saver for occasional small jobs, might be just big enough to get in trouble with too.

And not to worry,.. if, when or ever I "think of you", you're just an amusing dude on HBT, with a somewhat different take on things. Likely you have a better tolerance for off tasting hooch, and know more about malting than me. So 'effin chin up dude...

So 'effin chin up dude...

i called my boss to see who to call to get my A/C fan capacitor fixed for ~$100, he laughed in my face said like 200-300 bare minimum...i was like damn :(

guess i'm just a poor boy....but the conversation ended with him saying hey man, you want help me work, i was like hell yeah man! :mug:

said to myself that a booster shot of something, pulled the electric cover off the A/C, saw it had a two cap system, and i'm thinking the fan cap is the smaller one...ordered it off ebay for $10....it's only got two wires too, so shouldn't be to comlicated to replace...i'll be wearing my rubber garden gloves to do it too, i still remember that shot of adrenaline, when i jumped my rigged dryer up for my malt.....

so the day was good all in all, fixing the A/C went from 200-300 to 10, and MY idea of good time is probably going to be +30-40!! all i have to do is make sure the pipe line keeps flowing so the rocks don't crack my pipes and they spring a leak or something....

hemoraging bank accounts ain't no fun! i like filling them up, but i use a drip line to water the plants....

On caps the long wire is positive! Good on you rolling up your sleeves and fixing it yourself, there's not nearly enough of that these days. Most things can be fixed with a $10 dollar part and a Phillips screwdriver, maybe a standard and some allen keys possibly. The hardest part is having the courage to take it all apart and the common sense to put it all back together again.

The hardest part is having the courage to take it all apart and the common sense to put it all back together again.

if i gotta have balls to replace a $10 cap instead of spending 300....i'd rather blow the whole damn thing up myself, and buy a new one for 5k....that's what they call horse racin right? i'm taking a uneducated guess, that if my 4th grade educated self, could make a two button estees rocket ignighter when i was 6-7....my 43 year old ass can swap two wires....now if only i could think up a quick way to rig a discharger for the cap....

On caps the long wire is positive!

got to thinking on this pour....they're both positive? ones in, the other out, but all the used electrons get dumped to ground as waste.....or neutral.....

all a cap does is supply a fast release of quick energy, to get the ball rollin so to say(SP?)

edit: i think a cap is kinda like a diode? only with a savings account?

I'm trying to remember why caps are polarity sensitive, I think it comes down to chemistry of the two plates that are separated by a semi-conductor buuuut I'm foggy on if that's correct.

i don't know but electrons enter 'excited' it says hey man you got spunk, think i'll save you for a big war....then when something demonds a punk to teach them a lesson, it realeses the brats on it fast and swift? which is why caps have this direction of spunk on them? when they get tired they just go to the ground?

1653797232698.png

you want the spunky electrons going in, then they flow to the people that need an ass kicking? then well you need to figure out how to put spunk back in them? NOW THAT IS a drunken thought.....!!!

where is this spunk? i mean i know about organic chemistry a bit, i know about atoms stuff.....but what is the 'spunk'? sub atomic? elctronic i guess..... 🤣

Back