Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, not drunk - had one beer at a brewery and one from my own taps so I'm totally upright :) But I have to spill this and see if anyone else had to go through it.

Verizon owns AOL. The former moved their email service from VZ to AOL a year or so ago for some reason, and then sent some noisy notices that older mail reader apps might have to use some alternative password scheme instead of the classic, user-generated and entered password scheme.

Ok, sounds ominous, but then nothing happened for like 6 months. This week, however, they finally dropped the authentication bomb, and neither The Spousal Unit nor I could not fetch or send emails.

Eventually I was able to find the process to recover: each user account on each offending device had to now use a machine-generated 16 character password. So, for the typical user with a single email address on the VZ/AOL service, with say a PC or Mac, a tablet, and a phone, they have to change their email app passwords on each device to use the unique machine generated passwords - in this case, three unique passwords are required.

Me - due to business factors I have four email addresses, a PC, two tablets, and a phone. This means I had to go through the password generation 16 times to generate passwords for four address by four devices. Crazy. I finally got both of us all squared away but I have my doubts this was anything more than the classic (and forgive the reference but it is what it is) "Chinese Fire Drill".

Anyone else run into this?

Cheers!

Ok, not drunk - had one beer at a brewery and one from my own taps so I'm totally upright :) But I have to spill this and see if anyone else had to go through it.

Cheers!

Disclaimer; I'm not drunk either, at least not at this time. Enjoying a hot black caffeinated beverage.

My main customer interface email is a verizon/aol account, running through thunderbird. Have not run into that specific problem, but it has really been a pita lately. Having to open program two or three times to all get messages, or re open to send after writing.

The guy who helps me w tech stuff did a ping test and said it was their server, probably around boston, that was hanging up. Told me I should plan to get a new email supported by one of the two big outfits (g word or ms), probably will do that & route though my website so address can remain stable regardless of provider. Will probably do off season, but will still have to keep old email, as some customers never update.

Hop spiders are cool.

Attachments

• 233200E4-2723-41E4-AF93-9244E63E0CCD.jpeg
    233200E4-2723-41E4-AF93-9244E63E0CCD.jpeg
    939.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CDD76004-3A63-4FFA-9761-3DECB010BF53.jpeg
    CDD76004-3A63-4FFA-9761-3DECB010BF53.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Verizon owns AOL. The former moved their email service from VZ to AOL a year or so ago for some reason, and then sent some noisy notices that older mail reader apps might have to use some alternative password scheme instead of the classic, user-generated and entered password scheme.

Ok, sounds ominous, but then nothing happened for like 6 months. This week, however, they finally dropped the authentication bomb, and neither The Spousal Unit nor I could not fetch or send emails.

Eventually I was able to find the process to recover: each user account on each offending device had to now use a machine-generated 16 character password. So, for the typical user with a single email address on the VZ/AOL service, with say a PC or Mac, a tablet, and a phone, they have to change their email app passwords on each device to use the unique machine generated passwords - in this case, three unique passwords are required.

Me - due to business factors I have four email addresses, a PC, two tablets, and a phone. This means I had to go through the password generation 16 times to generate passwords for four address by four devices. Crazy. I finally got both of us all squared away but I have my doubts this was anything more than the classic (and forgive the reference but it is what it is) "Chinese Fire Drill".

Cheers!

Nope. First I've heard of it. Of course, I don't have but one desktop and a laptop as a backup.

I prefer the USA/NA car crash/stupid driver/road rage/instant karma videos.

I like recognizing some of the places.

20210810_072459.jpg

Waiting to recognize any of vehicles/ people involved

random drunken thought...

If you can find this thread and then type out a post, are you actually drunk or just pretending?

damn now i don't know if i can post here or even read it...i've had 9 12oz glasses of 8% ABV cider so far since 7am..it's almost 5pm....

maybe i should chug a couple quick, bash my head against the kegerator....thinking, damn i need a random thought!

Just a reminder: HBT rules still apply in this thread. Don't be the one to get it locked or deleted.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

yeah, and when i lived in house without good heating the ONLY way i could ferment at 50f was with lager yeast! was not a style preference, just a necessity.....

edit: the ale yeast wouldn'nt even ferment. had to just for alcoholic liquid!
I had a cream ale I was set to use a kviek on this week….but due to unseasonably cool temps, particularly overnight I’ve had to hold off. Not sure I’ve seen mid 50 degree nights around the Sacramento region in August before.

Back