Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i always wonder when i come to random thought threads, all i can think of randomly is "DEA (insert positive or negative words)" ... maybe it's just me? lol :mug:

Meh. It ain't nothin' until you start seeing black helicopters...

Cheers! :D

not worried about the choppers...it's just i feel like everytime i try to think my own thoughts i get dog piled by drug dealers, trying to tell me what i 'should' be thinking...then i get to wondering where are the DEA? aren't they supposed to be getting paid to keep me 'safe' from BS like this?

it happens to me every time i try and think 'randomly'....start wondering why i'm presented a list of acceptable thoughts to think, mostly seemingly...yeah welll, i've gone on long enough....i'd say i need help standing up to drug dealers, but that's why i like it here i can say F InBev! and give it a :mug: and unlike hangin out with tweakers i'd probably get :mug: back instead of a look of fear....

already did...i quit the meth, where people looked at me with puzzled faces when i said i just want to make my own to save money...went back to drinking and hang out with you guys, who try and tell me i'm not saving money making my own, lol 😛 :drunk: (but i always love seeing your stainless bling!)

damn, just got an alert from a thread i posted in two months ago....forgot all about it, weird having what you say to other people written down for record.

not really random for me....but i've been cold crashing my beers at around 1.005, thinking that'd finsih in the fridge by the time it was cold...but i've been drink 12-13 beers instead of 10-11. that almost 1% by weight of alcohol less is ~1 gram ethanol a 12oz glass! S.O.B., i'm up to 186 now from 176....gotta let it finish.

13x7 is like an extra drink at 165 calories and 8 calories a pound to maintain a pound of body mass....think i got it figured out now we'll see....

To a point, for instance, it usually does not pay to dive into the fray without knowing what it is being fought over...

Boldness with discretion, or discretion with boldness...

Excess in modreation, or moderation in excess... similar problem, wonder which one to choose? {;

I spent all night cooking food, cranking tunes on the ole stereo, then playing some tunes myself,,,feelin kinda smug I have not been wasting time on internet or even looking at screens much lately.

Thought I'd log on so I could share this .. ....

Just for a thought experiment, consider what would happen if interweb connectivity was lost ... very few of the systems that worked a couple of decades ago are in place anymore, ..heck, written forums like this are likely to become anachronistic in the next decade...

Don't mean to be subversive, but the moon is mostly full, might not be a bad time to log off and go outside... if circumstances appropriate..

Assuming you mean an acoustic modem, there's no need for that any longer (never mind just trying to find an analog handset to use with one) given DSL is an actual thing. But..,I suspect that in the proposed thought experiment, all transport mechanisms are presumed down, yes?

Cheers!

well if i couldn't even have a phone conversation.....i'm wondering how i'd carb and push my beer? spunding valve and sugar wash dud keg for just co2?

Quasi isolation isn't that bad assuming one's psyche doesn't have some incompatibility. The house my dad and I built up in the White Mountains in the early 80s is in a connectivity gulch - no OTA tv reception, full stop, and barely radio, mostly from Vermont. We had a VCR, then a DVD player, and lots of books. When the portable digital device paradigm arrived we'd load up whatever device was current with ebooks, and when the capacity grew up enough, load some movies to play on the tv.

It was only this year that the house became "connected" - via low rent DSL @ 25Mbits down/2 Mbits up - on the good days :) With a Firestick and a Prime account we can stream crap from pretty much everywhere and see everything now.

The extended family is of two minds, at once missing the enforced isolation, but then enjoying the option of being connected. I preach it's a matter of choice: one can still exist in a self-created hermitage for the weekend/week by simply shutting down the gateway :)

Cheers!

That talk of graphs reminded me of something a friend of mine told me recently when discussing my lack of knowledge in brewing. He cited Dunning Kruger and the valley of despair on the plotted graph. Should I be drunk before I post to this thread?

dunning-kruger-effect-curve.png

But..,I suspect that in the proposed thought experiment, all transport mechanisms are presumed down, yes?

That was what I had in mind. What if the digital communication structure did not function for a significant period of time?,.... perhaps analogous to the time ship is blocking the canal. All heck would fall apart, and if it were out for even longer, even if only a month, I believe our species (or society as we know it ( for the most part) would be in for a tough patch.

Many of us still around successfully operated in a world/time before current tech....imagine how bad it will be if colapse happens after mechanical/analog systems are completely forgotten.

I believe, historically speaking, we people in this time are going though fundamental change in how societal function operates. The speed of change we have had to (more or less) accept is as fast as has happened previously only in catastrophic events.

Anyone else notice this?

That was what I had in mind. What if the digital communication structure did not function for a significant period of time?,.... perhaps analogous to the time ship is blocking the canal. All heck would fall apart, and if it were out for even longer, even if only a month, I believe our species (or society as we know it ( for the most part) would be in for a tough patch. [...]

I cannot dispute the likelihood of the "all heck" thing. And yes, as a septuagenarian, I spent at least a good half of my life predating most significant digital infrastructure while contributing to its eventual dominance ;) But, tbh, I don't think past individual experiences matter much wrt a digital collapse when those that never lived in a non-digital-world would far outnumber the oldies.

So we're all pretty much fooked...

Cheers! (Irony. It's everywhere. But at least I didn't work on Skynet! :D)

Though somewhat younger than you, I spent over half my life learning and attempting to save outdated mechanical infrastructure, not sure where that leaves me... in dust I suppose. Yeah pretty much, but I get by OK.

However, I could easily go over a month without leaving my property, and not have to give up much besides fresh vegetables(in cold months) and dairy products.

Of course, I would miss the pleasant discourse I enjoy on HBT.

Speaking of SkyNet, my latest experiment fermenting Voss in keg with floating diptube with spunding valve to supress krausen has officially been scored a fail. Yes, yes, putting in 5 gallons was likely a poor boundary condition. And the cute little check valve that gives ~10 psi, given the known exuberance of Voss at 95F, was likely problem the second.

It only took a half day to clean up the mess. But having the exotherm finish in 16 hrs - priceless fun.

1617034674644.png

Back