Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree!

FB_IMG_1607648587742.jpg

damn, that's some fine american engineering! i don't even have a stand for mine, i just ha;f screwed some sheet rock screws in the bottom of the base, so it wouldn't fall off my mash tun while i was milling grain into it! :D :mug:
I had nothing to do with the building of it, just bought it cause my brewpub friend finally got his supplier to consistently mill his grain. I do get tagged on occasion to mill special batches for him if they forget or he gets a bag of grain from someone else that isn't milled. Having a non-adjustable motor (I keep meaning to install a real rheostat on it but I'm chicken) means I have to double mill everything, but I don't mind.

Back on topic; is it bad I have to spend my Friday night drinking up an almost-gone IPA so I can put something else on tap? Anyone? Yeah, I thought so. Burp.

Having a non-adjustable motor (I keep meaning to install a real rheostat on it but I'm chicken) means I have to double mill everything, but I don't mind.

Back on topic; is it bad I have to spend my Friday night drinking up an almost-gone IPA so I can put something else on tap? Anyone? Yeah, I thought so. Burp.

adjustable motor? this is what i use for my hot plate.....

https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Varia...ocphy=9030206&hvtargid=pla-351845451838&psc=1
and is as far drinking on friday... you know those are the kegs that last forever!

and is as far drinking on friday... you know those are the kegs that last forever!

The only ones that last forever for me are the ones with some aspect of flavor that has me pick one of the other available kegs. I got one keg of a fine brew with BE-134. It is a great beer in most ways, clarity, head retention even integrity of flavor. But is pretty clovey, once in a while I get a pint, but since I have so many othes I like better, that keg will last forever, unless I need the keg of course.

So I'm not drunk (yet) but trying to get there. And I just took my daily visit to the Beginning Brewer's thread. And....I'm smacking my forehead. Does nobody research a hobby before they jump in, feet first, not paying attention to anything they may have read? Secondary? WTF is that? Is this an infection? Do you NOT have access to Google like 99.99999% of this country???? How do I make hooch, I'm a 15-year-old high school student who wants alcohol. WTAF. Yes, I know most of us have been there. I'm sure I, like many of us, go to BBF to try to help, but also for the entertainment. Don't lie, you know you do. I keep my snarky comments to myself but I just needed to rant.

I'm 53. Back in my school days if I wanted to research something, all I had was the Encyclopedia Brittanica. No internet. Now the entire world is open to all via the wonder that is the internet, and people STILL ask idiotic questions.

Scuse me, I gotta go chase some whippersnappers off my lawn. Little sh*ts!!!!! Oh wait, that's just my dogs.

*I HAVE been drinking....

You think this forum is bad that way, and it is to some degree. Same w the other few forums I'm on & try to help, some people seem to have lost capability of figuring their own info, even get mad if referred to a reference source that has all the info they need, 'cause answer was not handed to them on a plate.

Maybe some should be reminded we can not see their brew rig, watch them brew and say where they could do better, or perform diagnostics to your truck's electrical harness (for instance) over the interweb.

Another thing that seems to be lost on a lot of people these days is any degree of patience. I even been noticing that in myself, only remedy I've come up with so far is to spend less time on the "computer". ..

And who actually uses these things as computers? very very few,... they are more "information terminals" to most of us ...& caveat emptor, as they used to say.

I guess I'll sign off on that note, have a good evening...

So I'm not drunk (yet) but trying to get there. And I just took my daily visit to the Beginning Brewer's thread. And....I'm smacking my forehead. Does nobody research a hobby before they jump in, feet first, not paying attention to anything they may have read? Secondary? WTF is that? Is this an infection? Do you NOT have access to Google like 99.99999% of this country???? How do I make hooch, I'm a 15-year-old high school student who wants alcohol. WTAF. Yes, I know most of us have been there. I'm sure I, like many of us, go to BBF to try to help, but also for the entertainment. Don't lie, you know you do. I keep my snarky comments to myself but I just needed to rant.

I'm 53. Back in my school days if I wanted to research something, all I had was the Encyclopedia Brittanica. No internet. Now the entire world is open to all via the wonder that is the internet, and people STILL ask idiotic questions.

Scuse me, I gotta go chase some whippersnappers off my lawn. Little sh*ts!!!!! Oh wait, that's just my dogs.

*I HAVE been drinking....

hey now! i just ask questions to make small talk! ;)

my cider stalled at 1.040...DAMN IT! i dumpped 3lb's 5oz's of 65% hooch in a keg and carbed with 2.5oz's co2....seriously, what ABV is it going to be, and how long will 50 psi take to equalize? oh and how many calories would that along with 2 cups sugar, and pitcher of orange juice have per 340 gram glass?

i could try googling it....but where would the fun be in that! lol :mug:

(and the cider didn't stall i hope, it's just only been couple days since i pitched the yeast....i was too lazy to even dump juice in a bucket, :( all those bottle i have to open, and pour, sheesh

My daughter has this cold brew coffee thing that she fills with finely ground coffee and leaves sitting sideways in the fridge for 12-24hrs. I have to admit, cold as it is, that coffee is bomb. I think you can see where I’m going with this... if cold brewing coffee produces excellent coffee, is cold brewing beer a thing? Please forgive my ignorance if the answer is “duh”.

My daughter has this cold brew coffee thing that she fills with finely ground coffee and leaves sitting sideways in the fridge for 12-24hrs. I have to admit, cold as it is, that coffee is bomb. I think you can see where I’m going with this... if cold brewing coffee produces excellent coffee, is cold brewing beer a thing? Please forgive my ignorance if the answer is “duh”.

sure! but it'd probably be a sour? do you like sours? have you smelt day old mash tuns before, is that apealing? i'd think 2-3 days soaking malt WOULD convert? not sure, but my mash tun always smells like wet dog the next day when i clean it....

toss a few more back, and do a small batch experiment and report back! it'll probably take off fermenting automaticly with out yeast, so OG FG readings would be pointless.

and coffee is roasted allready, so you could try a 100% 10L crystal malt batch too! because it's already been mashed in the kernel...

and just my thoughts :mug:

edit: and the cold brewed 10L actually has me thinking, cold steped, dry hoped? could be the next big thing! :mug:

<-- US Navy veteran

if it identifies as "coffee" I will drink it. temperature is irrelevant.

I mean, hot is better, but really doesn't matter

coffe seriously.jpg

Minor epiphany? Or total "Meh"?

The last couple of days I've noticed everything with swirling water running out spins counter-clockwise - except for my BK and HLT.
I realized I had set my BK and HLT to recirculate in a clock-wise fashion without having given it any thought.
Meanwhile the coriolis effect wants my kettles to spin counter-clockwise as the low resistance choice, I assume.

So, wth, tonight I changed my BK and HLT to spin counter-clockwise. Took five minutes, no big whoop.
I doubt there'll be any metric that says this makes sense...

Cheers! :D

...your efficiency will suffer, you'll have more dissolved oxygen, more unfilterable break and grist flour, and your brew house light bulbs will have to be replaced 27.3% more often.

I read that somewhere on the internet, I'm fairly certain.

So a random (almost) drunken thought, observation, question...

Does anyone else just sit in their brew space, look around, and think, 'holy crap. from this I make beer. It's pretty damn good, mostly. I have fun doing this.' I do. Every night. I've also been known to hold a full glass of my homebrew up to the light and stare at it, thinking 'wow. I made this. From water, grain, hops, and yeast. I like it. Damn I can do something right.'. From someone who has spent the majority of her life being a disappointment to her family (not as smart as the sister, got in trouble, married a control-freak mental-abusing a**hole at 19 {NOT current husband}), being able to do something right 90% of the time is pretty freaking amazing.

Does anyone else just sit in their brew space, look around, and think, 'holy crap. from this I make beer. It's pretty damn good, mostly. I have fun doing this.' I do. Every night. I've also been known to hold a full glass of my homebrew up to the light and stare at it, thinking 'wow. I made this. From water, grain, hops, and yeast. I like it. Damn I can do something right.'. From someone who has spent the majority of her life being a disappointment to her family (not as smart as the sister, got in trouble, married a control-freak mental-abusing a**hole at 19 {NOT current husband}), being able to do something right 90% of the time is pretty freaking amazing.

Well, DUH, I thought that's why we **HAD** brew spaces. Or a garage in this instance.

Also, not the 19yr old married part.

And I'm way smarter than my sister. Although she may take issue with that.

Cheers! I feel the same way. It’s nice to guide positive results!

Also @seatazzz you’re just as smart as your sister. Intelligence takes many forms. A year ago I could tell you how to build an enterprise-class computer network, but couldn’t tell you jack **** about how to brew a beer. It’s all about what we learn, and no matter how smart we are, or what we know, we’re all just students.

Also @seatazzz you’re just as smart as your sister. Intelligence takes many forms. A year ago I could tell you how to build an enterprise-class computer network, but couldn’t tell you jack **** about how to brew a beer. It’s all about what we learn, and no matter how smart we are, or what we know, we’re all just students.
Yeah, it took me a while to realize that. I can brew beer, for one thing!!

One political party has more smokers than the other (not saying which, don't want to be banned) , so there's hope for the future.....

Yikes! Get a bit tingly there? :D

Never trust someone else's wiring work, either. Almost 5 decades ago I almost got fried because of a contractor that installed a 3 phase 400V 60 amp connector for an IBM mainframe memory unit and swapped the ground with one of the phases between panel and connector. So, the connector housing was hot.

The connector was left under the raise floor, and when I pulled the tile, reached down, and grabbed the drop by the cord the connector bumped the floor gridwork and let off one huge blinding flash of light and heat. Burned a silver dollar size hole into the grid member spraying hot metal bits.

Really bad juju, I apparently came up screaming bloody murder and calling for the electrician's head. Yeah, someone should have shut off the breaker first, but wth?

Just spent a weekend removing 40 years of power/data/GodKnowsWhat wires from beneath raised floor as we just down the corp data center for the last time. Sniff.

Also, RIP Christopher Plummer

Darn, Mr 'Rog, that sounds kind of final and maybe seems like a time change to you now.

Maybe have a few brews this evening, and contemplate what new opportunities n "stuff" you might want to aspire to, or look back in on, for that matter...

At least change sometimes is a good opportunity to one stand back & check out the big picture, or as much as one is capable of seeing.

Have a good evening everyone. ;}

Latest posts

Back