Ran out of propane...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
So I was about 17 minutes into my boil when I ran out of propane. I have a tiny electric stove that would have been destroyed by my kettle. So, I ran out to refill. I was only gone for about 15 minutes and the wort was sitting at about 193F when I got back. I know it isn't ruined, but what can I expect? It is a German hefe with about 1/2 an once of northern brewer for bittering as the only hop addition. Do I restart the boil or just do whatever was left?

I have had it happen a few times before investing in another tank, I would just go from where you left off

Ya, I'm thinking I've learned my lesson haha. That's what I am ending up doing. It'll be interesting to see if there is any noticeable change in flavor.

You'll be fine. I wouldnt sweat it. This happened to be a few times before I, too, invested in a backup tank. Then I went to to electric bc I hated refilling tanks every other brewday, but that is a different road.

I have had this happen and it is probably one reason I have two tanks. I've had to steal my BBQ tank more than once, or my brewing tank, because I didn't know how low my propane was. I usually fill both when I get them filled regardless of how little one is missing just because it's cheap and I'm already going there.

looks like you need to send it to an approved storage and disposal facility.

I can direct you to a very good one - not a drop will find its way into the local water supply until it has been completely and properly processed.

looks like you need to send it to an approved storage and disposal facility.

I can direct you to a very good one - not a drop will find its way into the local water supply until it has been completely and properly processed.

I appreciate your willingness to assist in this dangerous matter.

You can weigh your tank before and after on brewdays. Once you have an average used, you can weigh your tank the night before and know if you will make it.

Just look for old crappy propane tanks at yard sales and junk and pick one up. Then exchange it at one of the Blue Rhino type refill places that just swap tanks.

my last batch, an extra pale ale, i ran out of propane at about 1/3 into the boil.... at mid night.... I restarted the boil the next day, then did a no chill, after the second boil. i thought i would have to dump it. and i almost did.

After fermentation, and 1 week cold crashing, and a week in a keg, it turned into a beautiful beer. it was bitterer than i had originally intended. but now i think discovered a new way to make my west IPA recipe and give it an extra bitter hoppy kick.

i guess my point is relax and have a homebrew!

Or just keep a spare tank at the ready. :)
I did this.

Then, I had two empty tanks when I needed a full one.

So, I bought another.

Then, I had three empty tanks when I needed a full one.

I'm currently the proud owner of 4 tanks. 2 full, 2 partially used. At what point does a "spare" count as a problem?

One of the tanks was from Costco, and tells me "hey, buddy, just about out. Plan ahead." I hate that one. The rest just let me down.

Honestly, though, one tank is on the grill, one on a pop-up, and one for brewing. So, technically, only one "spare."

I keep 2 propane tanks specifically for "brewing." I use one until it's completely empty, then switch to the spare, and set the empty one by the car to remind me to fill it. The next time I have some free time on a weekend, I take it to the hardware store and get it refilled. Meanwhile, I use the spare. Once the first one has been refilled, it goes "on deck," and doesn't get used until the first one is completely empty, then they switch again.

I guess the key to such a system is not to let the empty one sit around un-refilled long enough that you drain your spare one, too. :) That said, my emergency "Plan C," should it ever come to that, would be to raid the bar-b-que and steal its tank, if only to finish a disastrous brew day in which somehow both of my brewing tanks ran dry, but that's never happened.

Brewing is all about patience and planning! :)

I am lucky that I have very good water for brewing IPA's in my town. That being said, I can do my chemical/acid additions with hot tap water and greatly reduce my propane use. I do the additions, cool off a small sample to verify pH and off I go. So far, 6 batches off a 20 lb cylinder and I probably will get the strike water heated on my next batch anyway.

120°F coming out of faucet gets to 160°F a lot faster than 54°F coming out of the faucet. Do the same for sparge water and not only do I save propane, I save a lot of time.

though one is on the BBQ. I haven't had an instance when they are all empty - though I filled 2 of them at one shot a couple months ago - grilling over the winter and never got to fill them. One of my "others" has 2 brew days on it, the other is still topped off full. Next brew I will probably go with the full, or at least have it down by the rig ready to plug in.

^^ I do that too, although you'll get a lot of naysayers saying, "You're not supposed to drink water from your hot water tank, it's dangerous!" Such ideas are holdovers from the days when we had lead solder in our plumbing (we don't anymore), or the idea that electric hot water tanks are caked with minerals and metals from our water supply (my hot water tank is natural-gas fired). If you live in a relatively-modern construction home (i.e., with PEX plumbing), with a natural gas hot water tank, there's absolutely no reason not to use your hot water for brewing.

^^ I do that too, although you'll get a lot of naysayers saying, "You're not supposed to drink water from your hot water tank, it's dangerous!" Such ideas are holdovers from the days when we had lead solder in our plumbing (we don't anymore), or the idea that electric hot water tanks are caked with minerals and metals from our water supply (my hot water tank is natural-gas fired). If you live in a relatively-modern construction home (i.e., with PEX plumbing), with a natural gas hot water tank, there's absolutely no reason not to use your hot water for brewing.

My water system is an on-demand system installed 5 years ago. No build up in the tank, brass/bronze fittings, awesome.

If the house water is good enough, the stuff out of my water heater is probably just as good.

Back