Ran out of caps... beer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I boiled my priming sugar, added my tincture, and siphoned my beer to the bottling bucket. I filled all 49 bottles and then realized (oops!) I only had 19 caps. I covered the open bottles loosely with saran wrap, and then I ran to my local HBS to get more and capped them that afternoon/evening.

My question is: is my beer ok? The bottles were left uncapped (but covered with plastic wrap) for about 6 hours.

Thanks!

Thanks mongoose - thats a good suggestion. I acutally purchased different colored caps so that should be easy to tell :)

I did that once but only ended up about a half dozen caps short. I went thru my refuse and found discarded caps. I sanitized after washing and found out the capper will smooth any creases on the used ones. No problem after the fact either so I am happy that I know how to solve that problem if it ever happens again.

I always count my caps first to make sure I have exactly as many as I need plus some.

Check your local supermarket. I found mine sells some homebrew supplies, including caps, in the drinks aisle next to the mixers. May save you in a pinch if this happens again.

Happened to me as well. But it was Sunday and the LHBS was closed. I covered the bottles in saran wrap and put them in the fridge to prevent fermentation, then got caps the next day and capped them. I put a mark on the caps to tell them apart but they ended up tasting just fine.

I think you'll be fine. Next time this happens might be good to cover them in aluminium foil instead, to be sure that the bacteria stay away.

Back