Quantcast

Ran out of caps... beer ok?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dendron8

Reaction score
I boiled my priming sugar, added my tincture, and siphoned my beer to the bottling bucket. I filled all 49 bottles and then realized (oops!) I only had 19 caps. I covered the open bottles loosely with saran wrap, and then I ran to my local HBS to get more and capped them that afternoon/evening.

My question is: is my beer ok? The bottles were left uncapped (but covered with plastic wrap) for about 6 hours.

Thanks!

mongoose33

Reaction score
You're probably ok. I'd surely separate the first 19 from the last 30 just in case the last 30 don't turn out.

But I'd expect them to be ok.

OP
dendron8

dendron8

Reaction score
Thanks mongoose - thats a good suggestion. I acutally purchased different colored caps so that should be easy to tell :)

catdaddy66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did that once but only ended up about a half dozen caps short. I went thru my refuse and found discarded caps. I sanitized after washing and found out the capper will smooth any creases on the used ones. No problem after the fact either so I am happy that I know how to solve that problem if it ever happens again.

tgolanos

Reaction score
I always count my caps first to make sure I have exactly as many as I need plus some.

Check your local supermarket. I found mine sells some homebrew supplies, including caps, in the drinks aisle next to the mixers. May save you in a pinch if this happens again.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
Happened to me as well. But it was Sunday and the LHBS was closed. I covered the bottles in saran wrap and put them in the fridge to prevent fermentation, then got caps the next day and capped them. I put a mark on the caps to tell them apart but they ended up tasting just fine.

brewuuhu

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. Next time this happens might be good to cover them in aluminium foil instead, to be sure that the bacteria stay away.